The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My amp constantly shuts off after like 2 songs. It shuts off because it gets too hot. Is there any way to keep the trunk cooler? I already have a fan back there, but its just blowing hot air on to it. I've tried to think of every ghetto way possible. I've even been trying to figure a way to run something from the floor vents, under the front seats, to the trunk without it looking ghetto as hell. If anyone can help, please do. Thanx.

·
Registered
74 Posts
try putting one of the seats down on the rear so air from the front flows back there, that should help a lot if nobody is sitting back there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soaped said:
try putting one of the seats down on the rear so air from the front flows back there, that should help a lot if nobody is sitting back there.
I dont have fold down seats. If I can, how can I make them?

Hell man I had a friend of mine that routed an AC duct back to his amp rack in the trunk....work great!
How did he do it. I've been trying to figure a way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
not sure about first gen's, but i thought 2nd gens have the 60/40 fold down seats ? maybe it was a package. I have no clue how solace's friend did the ac duct thing but I guess anything can be done hehe :p

·
Simple Pleasures C.C.
3,227 Posts
It was a ton of work involved, but he basically routed a small duct back directly behind the rear seat....not sure what all was involved I only helped with routing the duct work through the car....

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
Somethin's wrong with yur amp. Amps are designed to withstand hightemp. 2 songs is quite short for it to heat up and shut off...

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
It shouldnt shut off. If it trips. Your system does'nt match none the less if your amp is really out of order or busted.
Amplifiers should always be greater in power handling than the speakers they drive to have a good headroom.

Example:

If your speakers are 100 watts continuous power. The least amp you could get should also be 100 watts. The best amp you should get for that 100 watt speaker is with 200watts power handling in order for the amp to have a headroom in a peak response.

If the speakers are more powerful than the amp in terms of wattage. The possibility is the amp will be overdriven to which it might put out direct current that will destroy your speakers.

Anything that is overdriven in your system (i.e. amp, speaker, headunit) produces disortion.

·
Illest in Nebraska
3,097 Posts
what kind of amp is it? is it bridged ? i have one for my mids and highs mtx 280 it's bridged and i'm putting a strain on the amp so it shuts off after about 30 min but that is all the way up in the fla heat . try and get a better amp or get some fans made for amps

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1-10" Kicker Solo Baric Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm
600w Planet Audio Amp 2 channel

I have it bridged with gains all the way down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
what is your power wire doing when it shuts down? if the wire is too small it could heat up and choke the amp...making the amps power supply work harder than it needs to...check the speaker(S) make sure each one has a smooth action no rubbing sounds if you manually move the cone, see if any of the coils are shorted to the basket/car chassis. turn the sensitivity down on the amp. concider using a line driver to give you more voltage on the rca inputs, Audio Control "Over drive" and four.1 are good choices verify your impeadance load. if your wired 2ohms mono your amp could act like this, it could also be one of the coils is open forceing all the current though one coil get out the volt/ohm meter and start checking!

good luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The amp and everything is fine, it just gets way too hot in the trunk. When I open my trunk, before I start going, it feels like someone turned on an oven in there. I'm just looking for a way to actually cool the trunk. I know if I can do that, I'll be set.
Thanks everyone for all the advice though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts