The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenwood DNX9960 - 250 Shipped (USPS tracked & insured)

Used. 100% works. Comes in a box from DNX9140. Includes everything you see in pic. I might be missing some small things that usually come with a new box unit, PLEASE check pics to verify. Bluetooth and Sirius adapters are never included with a unit itself so those are extras you'd normally have to pay for additionally.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kenwood DNX5140 - 190 Shipped (USPS tracked & insured)

Used. 100% works. Comes in a box from DNX5120. Includes everything you see in pic. I might be missing some small things that usually come with a new box unit, PLEASE check pics to verify. Bluetooth and Sirius adapters are never included with a unit itself so those are extras you'd normally have to pay for additionally.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct. 5140 is your typical navi/entertainment while 9960 is very advanced when it comes to sound. One of the biggest most detailed EQ and insane amount of tunning for different setups.

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
3,668 Posts
Hmmm... I think I need one of these

·
Registered
135 Posts
Question: Not sure if you know the answer, but I'll ask anyways.
If I am currently paying for Sirius/XM in my Altima and I were to install one of these in my truck, could I add this radio to my account? Or would I have to pay an additional charge for a second radio? I'm not sure if Sirius is like DirectTv service or somewhere I can just pay like $5 more for a second reciever on my account, or if I would have to pay the same as what I'm paying on the Altima?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a few PMs from different people so I'll just respond here to all:

1. Main and most major difference between these 2 is that 9960 is by far a lot more advanced. Lots more options in every department you can think of predominantly sound tuning. That comes with a negative side to it thou - 9960 takes longer to respond. In simple terms imagine having 2 computers with similar hardware where one only has a few simple games installed on it and other is the main computer that controls NASA lol. Obviously the nasa one will be slower since hardware is similar. You would think Kenwood would run a completely different and heavily upgraded hard/software for 9960 but they didn't.
While 5140 is instant 9960 will take half a second to respond to your command. That half a sec isn't a big deal but it could be a tic to your nervous system when you want your unit to change or adjust a lot of things asap. Let's say you want to switch from CD to Radio while using your navi , turning the volume up, changing sound effect setting and off course adding a bit more of lower frequencies while adjusting time alignment for one of your speaker - yes, none of it will happen as quick as you can move your finger and press things :)

So to sum it up - if you do not have an advanced high end competition-style tuned sound system you will most defiantly love 5140 more. It's quicker, very simple and practical while still having all the biggest things regular person would need - navi, CD/Ipod, RCI outs for your typical amped front/back/sub sound system, basic sound tuning option, Bluetooth, Sirius....

If you want a sound quality beast (and have high end amp/speaker setup to match it) - 9960 is what you want. Absolute monster loaded with features most people do not even know meaning of - Time alignment, 7 channel pre-amp, 5V outs, 13 EQ band, advanced crossover for each set of speakers, shitloads of different pre-set sound effects......... I'm sure there are newer units that came out lately (I've been out of sound game for a while, I'm just assuming) but at the time this was the baddest most desired sound tuning double din with Navi. As I said earlier all these bells and whistles come with a price of slower button response when compared to DNX 5140.

2. Yes, you will need an adapter to keep your steering wheel controls. I believe I have SWI-PACK module laying around somewhere. If so I can throw it in for free if you ask for it but fair warning - it's a pita to install correctly but was the only unit available for this at the time. Right now there are other units available that do the job as good and are lots simpler to install. I suggest you get yourself one of those to make your life as installer simpler in the long run.

3. I updated maps on one of the units at one point. Can't remember which one but it was some years ago so you might wanna do that yourself anyways.

4. all I need is a dash kit and wiring harness and everything else you should have? Pretty much. Just to be on the safe side I did mention in my original post to please check pics yourself to make sure 10000000%. I had both units in my car, never threw anything out when swapping units but I did move twice since I took everything off the car so it is technically possible some wires got lost or misplaced at some point.

5. Local pick up - Yes, always an option. If it's in Brooklyn/Staten Island, NY I'll reduce price by $20 since I don't have to ship and pp fees. I can also drive out to Newark/Elizabeth, NJ area but in this case any of the bridges will cost me $15 so not much of price difference here. What I could do is simply throw in an OEM double din faceplate for 07-12 Altys with manual AC controls (will not work if you have LED lit knobs that show temperature)

6. Discounted price for merged Sirius/XM accounts? I have no idea. Sirius/XM would be the ones you need to call and ask. They are known for their "we'll give you a discount" or "we'll give you 3 months free", etc responses to whoever calls to cancel service so you might wanna give it a shot with "I already have one, would get another if it was cheaper" And of course Sirius/XM is who you need to ask.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few pics of these installed in my Altima.
Screen color of both units is adjustable to any color you want it to be including a perfect match to oem amber.
Both units are rear-camera ready. Sorry, I do not have my rear camera anymore so that's not available. Just about any camera you prefer will work if installed and wired correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts