The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bessington
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to schedule a trip to the dealership for some key fob issues. I had 1 key fob that completely quit working. My other key fob, the buttons worked, sometimes the remote start wouldnt work right away but I was getting the key ID error displaying and it got to the point where I was attempting to start my car for 10 minutes before it started, even with holding the key right against the start button. Both fobs had fresh batteries and still experienced the same issues.

It took the dealership 2 hours troubleshooting what was going on. They were having issues reprogramming the keys. Finally they found a solution: they completely wiped the car and keys and reprogrammed both as if it was a new set of keys. This ended up working for both key fobs.

So this ended up resolving the key ID incorrect, they no key issue, problems trying to use the door unlock and trunk buttons. I'm able to remote start with no issues and I've noticed the car is able to respond with the fobs at a further distance than before.

If you're coming across this issue yourself, get the dealership to reprogram and if they have to, let them reprogram everything from scratch.

Another note: This was covered in the warranty according to the dealership so it did not cost a thing.

·
bessington
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I'm experiencing these issues again. One key fob is completely useless and the other one works only if I hold it against the sensor on the door or ignition. None of the buttons work. Im ready to drive an old car if it means getting away from key fobs.0

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I'm experiencing these issues again. One key fob is completely useless and the other one works only if I hold it against the sensor on the door or ignition. None of the buttons work. Im ready to drive an old car if it means getting away from key fobs.0
bummer. I'm not a fan of the fob. what year is yours?

·
Registered
313 Posts
2013, yesterday key fob issues as well :(. It doesn't say low on battery but I have to press the button. Sometimes in the car it says no Key ID detected. Might change my battery soon to see if it helps.

·
My Other Ride is Your Mom
86 Posts
Having the same issues, mine is a 2013 3.5s. One remote works most of the time, but the other rarely works at all. Fresh batteries in both and my factory warranty expired in December...yippee!! Will likely plan a trip to the dealer at some point next week for a fix.

·
bessington
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't remember what thread I saw this in but I gave it a try and it actually worked. Disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a few minutes. Now make sure your key fob is in the car and reconnect your car battery. Let the key fob sit there for a minute and then see if it works again. This seemed to work for me this go around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 13 Altima 2.5 SV I bought as a lease turn-in with 25k miles on it. When i bought it, the display showed the key fob low battery, so I changed batteries in both fobs. After i changed the batteries, the display showed wrong key ID, so I had to google to learn the touch the fob to the start button to start the car. After doing this for a couple of days, it starting recognizing the fob, but still non of the buttons worked. What a pain in the butt. I took it to the dealer to apply a couple of recalls and troubleshoot the fobs. Bottom line, they couldn't get them to work and suggested i buy two new ones for about $350...of course i declined as they were working fine before installing the new batteries. By chance i was sitting in the car that evening and noticed if i waited, with the car off, for the display to time out and go black, I could get it to re-appear by pressing one of the door lock buttons on the fob. It would come up with the standard press brake and button to start. I let it time out again - display black - and this time i pressed the button and after i pressed the fob to get it to come back up, i held the lock button on the fob and then pressed the brake and start button. The car then displayed wrong key ID and showed a screen showing to touch the fob to the start button. I did and the fob became fully functional; wow, i couldn't believe it. I took that fob inside and grabbed the other one which the car recognized, but the buttons didn't work on, and ran through the same sequence. Voila, the fob worked. I tried all the recipes on the internet, disconnecting the battery, etc before the trip to the dealership without success. I hope this helps someone out, because it frustrated me to no end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I had to schedule a trip to the dealership for some key fob issues. I had 1 key fob that completely quit working. My other key fob, the buttons worked, sometimes the remote start wouldnt work right away but I was getting the key ID error displaying and it got to the point where I was attempting to start my car for 10 minutes before it started, even with holding the key right against the start button. Both fobs had fresh batteries and still experienced the same issues.

It took the dealership 2 hours troubleshooting what was going on. They were having issues reprogramming the keys. Finally they found a solution: they completely wiped the car and keys and reprogrammed both as if it was a new set of keys. This ended up working for both key fobs.

So this ended up resolving the key ID incorrect, they no key issue, problems trying to use the door unlock and trunk buttons. I'm able to remote start with no issues and I've noticed the car is able to respond with the fobs at a further distance than before.

If you're coming across this issue yourself, get the dealership to reprogram and if they have to, let them reprogram everything from scratch.

Another note: This was covered in the warranty according to the dealership so it did not cost a thing.
sorry You had such trouble, my key gave out too, was getting the incorrect key error. thank god it was just the battery getting weak, replaced it and now no issues so far. FC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keylessremotewarehouse.com has spare key fobs for all types of cars. my wife lost both sets of our keys in a week and they were fast and efficent
hope this helps:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 13 Altima 2.5 SV I bought as a lease turn-in with 25k miles on it. When i bought it, the display showed the key fob low battery, so I changed batteries in both fobs. After i changed the batteries, the display showed wrong key ID, so I had to google to learn the touch the fob to the start button to start the car. After doing this for a couple of days, it starting recognizing the fob, but still non of the buttons worked. What a pain in the butt. I took it to the dealer to apply a couple of recalls and troubleshoot the fobs. Bottom line, they couldn't get them to work and suggested i buy two new ones for about $350...of course i declined as they were working fine before installing the new batteries. By chance i was sitting in the car that evening and noticed if i waited, with the car off, for the display to time out and go black, I could get it to re-appear by pressing one of the door lock buttons on the fob. It would come up with the standard press brake and button to start. I let it time out again - display black - and this time i pressed the button and after i pressed the fob to get it to come back up, i held the lock button on the fob and then pressed the brake and start button. The car then displayed wrong key ID and showed a screen showing to touch the fob to the start button. I did and the fob became fully functional; wow, i couldn't believe it. I took that fob inside and grabbed the other one which the car recognized, but the buttons didn't work on, and ran through the same sequence. Voila, the fob worked. I tried all the recipes on the internet, disconnecting the battery, etc before the trip to the dealership without success. I hope this helps someone out, because it frustrated me to no end.
Thank you so much for your suggestion. My key fob mostly worked, but the lock button stopped working. I called the dealership and they said I could by one for $299 and pay the programming fee. I am so glad I declined!
  • I got into my car with my key fob
  • Waited for the screen to go black
  • Held the lock button on the key fob
  • Pressed the brake and hit the start button on the car
  • I got the same message Wrong key ID
  • There was a picture telling me to touch the key fob to the start button
  • I did it, and I thought it didn't work because I pressed the lock button on the fob and nothing happened
  • We went to the auto parts down the road to get a new battery, and I pressed the lock button and it locked!!
Thank you again for writing this, it was very helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts