The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I have noticed lately that when I either auto start my 2014 Nissan Altima SV (to warm it up) or just get in it and push the start button, sometimes it does not read the fob properly and states "KEY ID INCORRECT" on the dash panel. So I need to either stick my hand outside of the car with the fob and come back in OR hold the fob up to the push start button so it can read it...so annoying. I tried both keys I was given when I leased the car and they both have the same issue. I brought it to the dealership a few weeks ago, and they said the only way they can diagnose the problem is by seeing it happen in real time..whatever that means...It seems as if it isn't a fob battery issue if both fobs are doing this. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know it seems unlikely, but always start your troubleshooting with replacing the batteries in both fobs. That seems to be the issue most of the time.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Mine used to say ''Key ID Incorrect'' like once every two-3 weeks. Replaced battery and has not shown since.

Also when I was having that display msg. showing, the little button on the door handles would not work to unlock the car, I had to use the key fob. That also has not happened again since changing the battery.

It's a cheap try it fix....$3-5

·
Registered
34 Posts
the thing that a lot of people dont realize, is how many times those remotes are used at a dealership. I have worked at 3 different dealerships, one of which was a nissan dealership. the remotes on any 1 car is used a minimum of 5-6 times a day NOT including if the vehicle is test driven. if the car isn't fresh off the transport truck, then those batteries are put through the ringer. you should really consider replacing the battery considering the fob batteries are at least 2 years old now, if not almost 3. easy fix that the dealer can do for you for cheap if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself.

just my $0.02.

·
bessington
73 Posts
I would suggest changing the batteries first. It might be time to change the batteries out anyways. If it still gives you issues after replacing the batteries you might have to do this: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...3-5/465753-key-fob-issues-dealership-fix.html

I changed my batteries but was still running into issues with the key fob's not working. Luckily mine were acting really bad and I was able to show the dealership.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
The only issues I've had were solved by changing the battery in the fob. Mine kept running down and I think it was because my keys were coming in contact with the chrome Nissan logo on the fob and causing it to use more battery, maybe it thinks it's touching the ring around the button and going into radio high output mode or something ?? just guessing. But when I put the fob in a leather pouch (coin purse) to protect it from touching the keys it stopped running down. Don't know if that's really what was happening but it solved my batter usage problem.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago and replaced the battery with ones that I got from Walmart. The problem continued so I went to my local dealer and was not to use batteries from because they are recycled one. So I went to Walgreens and have not had any ISSUE since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

So I went to the Nissan dealership this past weekend and learned that 2013, 2014 and 2015 Altimas have had chronic key fob connectivity issues. The reason I knew it wasn't my battery was because it always unlocked/locked and auto-started from far away distances but didn't read the key when I entered the car. I even switched to my backup fob halfway through my lease to make sure the battery in the first one didn't get overused. Anyways, it was covered under warranty so they replaced both fobs and reprogrammed new ones to my car. No issues since then.

Also, Nissan took care of a hood latch recall that apparently has been going on with the Altima. This is the 2nd hood latch recall since I began leasing the car in November of 2013...Please be aware of this.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Murano S
21 Posts
My 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL was purchased September 2012.
With remote start, I only used 1 key fob. The 2nd one eventually was taken by a gremlin.
Over the years, I had issues a few times. After replacing the battery, it worked great.
After 4 years, it started acting up, again. Replacing the battery helped for a only a bit.
The buttons seemed okay and the metal contacts inside did not need to be adjusted.
For my apartment building, I have a small key fob on my keychain.
Not powerful, but maybe it slowly effects the key fobs performance over time.
Over the last 3 months, it has been acting really weird and getting worse.

The dealer wanted $135 to re-program it.
I know I could get a locksmith to program it for less price.
To spend that much money, I would want 2 key-fobs re-programmed.

SINCE KEY FOBS WEAR OUT, I decided to buy 2 new ones.
Dealer was $170 plus $16 for the key and $10 to cut each one, plus the $135 re-programm charge.
It would have been $550 or more.

I paid a lot less by buying the key fob and keys on nissanpartsdeal dot com.
Both cost me about $264.
Instead of a locksmith, I went with the dealer. They charged $155.

Both remotes work like they are for a brand new car.
Expensive, but not a expensive as getting it all done at the dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had this issue, but mine ended up being the battery. It was actually giving the message at the dealer I brought it from. They said they'd change the battery in the 1 fob that was doing it. Fixed the problem.....for 2 days. They said they stuck a new battery in it.....which they lied and stuck a used one in it. I bought a new battery and problem fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts