The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just started happening recently. i put the key in, and start the car without any problems. but when its time to take the key out, it wont turn back all the way, which prevents me from taking it out the ignition. i thought it might be the key, so i tried the spare key, and the same thing happened. what do i have to replace and how much is this gonna set me back?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
sounds like the pins or tumblers (deja vu) have failed...
i just checked autozone.com and the price was 25.99 for the switch and 92.99 for the cylinder and switch. but it was also for a a standard... i dont know if theres a difference for an auto.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
mine is sticky like that too. align ur steering straight, and wiggle it a little while turning the key should free it. wiggle the keys a little too. it'd come out. (funny, mine is also a 95 from cali)

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
seems like the way to go, IF your key is in the same shape his was, otherwise, your ignition might still be bad.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wiggle and jiggle and turn and bend. when its stuck, its stuck. i have to turn it hard and force it. it kinda makes a pop. like my celica has a buttn you push when u take the key out. its like as if my alty has that button, but im turning it without pushing it, therefore forcing it. theres a dealer near me that offers 50% off to maxima.org members, im going to go and see how much thisll cost

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
you never said though, is your key in good shape? i have two keys and the new one i had made is hard to use...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i just tried it again. if i violently shake the sh!t out of the steering wheel and key, it comes out easily. problem solved =)

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
there is a trick to it. if u do it lightly just right, it comes right out.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
OK, i know this thread is old, but I just had this problem and wanted to share some info for anyone doing a search for key stuck in the ignition. When I put my stereo back in my car, I (auto) shifted down into first to have room. I guess I did it too hard cause when i shifted up to park, it didn't disengage the shift lock. I tried all of the above remedies and nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that the cable is stuck. After tearing the dash out, I was able to slide the cable retainer out of the slot and get my key out, but when I put it back in there, it the key got stuck again. I called my uncle, cause my brother is in Chicago, and he told me that I probably stretched the cable and it just needs adjusting. Here's a pic, I hope this helps.

·
Banned
100 Posts
try putting graphite in your keyholes it worked for mine when it got stuck all the time...but that was turning the key

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
a small koin wedge itself in the thing on the right of it and stop the ignition lok from opening to allow u to remove the key. just pull the koin out and presto.
PASS

·
Registered
10 Posts
This thread is way old, but I've had this key problem for a while and the easiest way for me to deal with it (without ripping apart the car) is just starting the car back up, back up a bit, pull forward again and try it again. Usually comes out with no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
eh, update: don't just wiggle the shifter, just make sure it's all the way in park (tap it to the left). it's usually not all the way over. i'm happy i don't need to move back up the car and pull forward a million times again..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts