The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I lost my primary car key. I found the backup key; it is very worn out.

With the backup key, it turns on the ignition lock fine but the starter wouldn't turn sometimes.
Last night, I have to fiddle with the key for about 10 minutes before the starter turns over.
The problem seems to be getting worse.

I don't want to invest alot of money into this jalopy. Because I plan to buy a new car after I find a good paying job, and send this jalopy to the wrecker.

But in the mean time, I'm scare I'm be stuck in the bad part of town late at night because of the key.

What is the cheapest fix?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
If you have the 'key code' for your car you can get the dealer to cut you a brand new one. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a good locksmith can make you a key with fresh accurate edges. Helps a lot been there.. Depending on the car should be less then $5
Will the locksmith ask me to remove the lock from the car?

How difficult is it to remove the lock from the steering column?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Will the locksmith ask me to remove the lock from the car?

How difficult is it to remove the lock from the steering column?
Difficult (security screws) and you really don't want to go there.

I like TX's idea about finding a locksmith who will clean up your key...might take a couple of swings to get it right, but you should be done for under $20 (even if you scrap a few blanks along the way).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just bumping this for others to know also, but I still have the original key to my '93 Altima and it would also give my wife trouble when trying to crank it on occasion.

One night it wouldn't do anything at all so not having any graphite spray, I shot some WD-40 into the ignition cylinder and it turned perfectly.

Just a heads up before hitting the locksmith

Jeremy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out my problem has nothing to do with the ignition lock.

The culprit was a bad starter. I replaced the starter and now key starts the car everytime. No more fiddling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you think you end up needing a key afterall just for piece of mind I can get one to you. It will be relatively inexpensive as long as it is NOT a second gen key with the electronic riff raff. I work as a locksmith and can cut a key if you find the code that was mentioned in a previous post. PM me if you would to further discuss this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts