The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I just got the car. The previous owner did not have much info to give me and I have very little info on the car's history.

I was given 1 key for the car. It does not look to be OEM. Here is a photo - https://imgur.com/a/Tgvl8

There are 3 buttons on the key.

The big button (bottom left side) makes the car horn sound 1 time. If I hold the button down for a few seconds, the car alarm goes off.

The medium size button (Right side) makes the car horn sound 2 times. If I hold the button down for a few seconds the trunk pops open.

The small button (top left) starts the car.

In the fuse box located beside the steering wheel there is a wire with a red button on it and a wire with an on off switch. It seems that the on off switch controls the aftermarket remote car starter. If I turn the switch off, the car will not remote start. I don't know what the red button does.. seems to do nothing.

Question:

Anybody have an idea what the little red button does in the fuse box?

More importantly, I want the fob to open and close the car doors, so I don't have to use the key all the time. As mentioned, the fob only seems to work to start the car and pop the trunk. Do you think the issue is with the fob or with the remote car door opener in the car? I can buy a new fob on ebay for like 5$ and I can reprogram it. But since the fob which I have seems to work for everything else, I think the problem might not be fob related anyway.

Anybody with advice or with knowledge of how these key-less entry systems work, please send me a reply.

Also, since the car alarm goes off when I hold down the big button, I guess the car has an alarm system? But if I try to engage the system and then open the doors manually, nothing ever rings, so maybe it is deactivated. I don't know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I noticed just now that on the driver's door there are 2 small wires (green) which seem to have been ripped. Shown here: https://imgur.com/a/jgAfr

I think this might be the problem and will work to re-attach them. I don't know how a typical aftermarket remote door opener is installed, but it would make sense to me that somebody just ran a couple of wires from the system to the driver's side door opener, which would activate the "all doors" switch when the system is engaged. So, attaching those wires again might solve my remote door lock/unlock issues.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was those two little broken wires. I connected them and the remote door locks worked.

Anyway, anybody know what the red button on the alarm system thing in the fuse box does? The switch turns the alarm system on and off... but why is there also a tiny red button?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on how your system is wired, could be a panic alarm. If you ever need a replacement key, keylessremotewarehosue.com has some cheap aftermarket ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts