The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'96 Max SE loaded
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got tired of my car runnin shitty so i took off the panel covering the ecu thingy and decided to give it a turn......

3 long, 4 short

john haynes says that a lighting code like that means a knock sensor malfunction and id never heard of it

so i go to the section in my book and it tells me where it is so i jack the car up to see if i can find it and i do but then i dont know what to do so i say **** it, ill ask someone else

so im askin:

1. What do i do?
2. If this is malfunctioning could it make my car seem as though it is missing?
3. How much will this cost me?
4. Should I try and do it myself or is it a complicated task?
5. What causes this problem?

any answers would be a big help, thanks

·
Givin 'em 4gasms
4,114 Posts
I just had the same problem a couple months ago. On my base, they have a shop where I could raise my car all the way up. If you can't do that, it might be easier to pay to get it done. It's just one bolt that goes thru the sensor and into the engine. But as you can see, it's not easy at all to get to. Once I finally broke the torque on it, its easy, but it was tiiiggghhhtttt!! Then trying to angle it the right way is a little tough, too. The sensor is like $130 - $150, from the dealer. Make sure you get a good light, and are able to work with one hand. Good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the same problem.

The sensor is next to the oil filter.

The knock sensor costs 200.00 + at the dealer.

When the knock sensor detects pinging on your engine or is malfunctioning it wil decrease the timing to protect the engine.

I decided to leave it alone. The car runs ok it is not missing and

I AM NOT PAYING 200.00 dollars for it. :angry4:

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Just be sure to torque it correctly , over tightening can ruin it !!!

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
How much is the Haynes manual? where is the best place to get them? I know you can get the Chilton manual for about $20. But, I would assume the Haynes is much better, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.