The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any past experience with this model of KYB shocks and struts?? I had some AGX Sports on my previous car and loved them. The reason why I ask is because KYB has now come out with GR-2 shocks and struts for the 2002 & 2003 Altima: http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php?Action=Submit&MakeID=Nissan&ModelID=369&x=59&y=7

Tein should be soon to follow with something of their own I would think. They are supposed to be coming out with a set of Super Street Dampers for our Altimas.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sweet... I wonder how much they are?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
I haven't been able to find anyone who sells them yet. If anyone does, please post up the info.
Tirerack sells them but does not have the info up for the altima yet. They have a set for the sentra se-r listed. $34 each for the fronts and $47 each for the rear. They also have the 2001 altima listed at $57 each. I would think the price should be in that ballpark for the 2002+ Altima.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LUKE, can we confirm that the tirerack sells these, and that we can buy them... if so, i'm buying them today

are they the same part for the 2.5 and the 3.5?

·
Registered
383 Posts
In what way are the 2002&2003's different than 2004&2005?

I guess what I am getting at is will or won't these fit an 04/05 3.5? anyone know?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SEO5 said:
In what way are the 2002&2003's different than 2004&2005?

I guess what I am getting at is will or won't these fit an 04/05 3.5? anyone know?
I don't know yet. I am working on this info as well as prices. I will post info up as soon as I know more.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I have found out so far. These won't even hit the stores until September first and no one has any kind of pricing information for the fronts yet. Both TireRack.com and PerformanceCenter.com had pricing information for the rear shocks (~$30/each and ~$33/each). I talked with other stores that said that they would carry them but they couldn't give me any pricing information.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here is the latest on the GR-2's. As it stands they are only going to be available in the rear fitment at first ($30.00 each) Kyb has not given us a firm date as to when they will be available. Jayman9207 had a September 1st date, I do not have that same information from KYB. All we can get is a fourth quarter 04/ first quarter 05 date. Nothing set in stone. As for the fronts nothing is even in development yet per our KYB rep.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ok, if you guys find out anything regarding fitment of 04/05 3.5 altimas let us know please.

Also could someone tell me what GR-2 means?

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
GR2s suck. They're basically stock replacements and perform as such. Just ask any Sentra/Max owners how they long they last on lowered suspensions. Custom 8-way adjustable AGX Sport rears will be available from ActiveTuning by Friday latest $199/Pr.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
Altimat said:
GR2s suck. They're basically stock replacements and perform as such. Just ask any Sentra/Max owners how they long they last on lowered suspensions. Custom 8-way adjustable AGX Sport rears will be available from ActiveTuning by Friday latest $199/Pr.
err??? Please tell me more!

·
Active Tuning Mechanic
531 Posts
Yep i have GR-2's on my GTP. They are replacement shocks, nothing more, nothing less. They may ride slightly, maybe like 5% firmer than my stock struts. These are in no way a performance strut though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Altimat said:
I like the stock feel to the shocks for daily driving I just want some that won't wear out on lowered suspensions.

What about fronts?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are part numbers for the fronts on their web site. The last time I heard back from KYB (been emailing them monthly for over a year) they said that the rears would be finished by July and hit the stores sometime in August. The guy I have been bouncing emails with also said that the fronts would be finished by September and that they would hit the stores around that time as well. I talked to Shox.com, Summit Racing, PerformanceCenter.com, and someone at TireRack.com yesterday. Shox.com didn't have any information at all yet on the fronts or backs. Summit Racing told me that they were getting the fronts and the backs by September 1st. PerformanceCenter.com had the rears already ($32.80 + $52.xx shipping) and that they were getting in the fronts sometime in the beginning of September. The information above is the same information I got from the person I talked with at Tire Rack yesterday.

I kind of figured that the GR-2's were nothing more than a slighly enhanced version of OEM's. I loved my AGX's but KYB isn't planning on coming out with a set of those for our cars. I just wanted to make sure though.

Altimat
You are still planning on selling the modified fronts and backs correct? Can you give everyone prices for the fronts as well as what both sets if bought all together would cost? I think you said $750 for the full set right? Do you have any kind of estimated shipping costs? Thanks.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
The problem with making the fronts is that I have to buy new OEM struts and gut them to install the Koni inserts, then buy a few other parts within the upper mount assembly and modify those too. Then when you install these parts you basically discard the same stuff I just bought new to make them. That is why the fronts cost so much to make. If anyone could send in their stock strut assemblies, and go without the car for a week it could be done much more reasonably.

And if you want a stock like ride on AGXs simply adjust them all the way down. They are a performance strut that will last, and give you the adjustability you need for a long trip with a heavy load, or just a day of more spirited driving if you want. And, you can replace the rears in 10 minutes/side.

·
Registered
464 Posts
GR-2's Are nothing more than stock replacements. That is why if you search this site everytime someone asks about these and lowerering I always so don't do it. If however you plan on not dropping your car and you like the ride they are a great choice.
I will look up what GR-2 standds for I can't remember off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts