The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas, this is my first post to Alimas.net.

I am going to purchase an 02/03 Altima SE 5speed in the next couple months *Might be waiting for the 03 model*.

My current car is a mazda protege that i had since high school but now that i am a unversity graduate and the fact that my protege looks like rice on wheels.. LOL, i am going to get the altima because it fits my budget very nicely.

Here is the question. Upon delivery of my altima (next few months), i am going to dismantel it and transfer my system from my protege to the altima (i love my infinity perfect 12.1s especially both.. LOL)..

Here is the plan, i want to know for you guys that own the altima,

If you remove the radio and the panel that holds the radio will it be able to put an 11.3" screen and fabricate a fiberglass cover??

I personally find the altima's interior so ugly, but i can live with it if i had a huge screen to cover it up.

Also 2nd question is I have a Pioneer deck that i will be using for its Auxillary in (P8250) and cellular interface to my Nokia car kit in my rpotege. I want to remove the storage bin and the hazard and cigerette ligheter socket and place the deck there since the screen will fit the whole stock deck location.

My plans are to incorporate a ful Athlon XP system for DIVX, DVD, MP3's, OBD2 diagnostics and GPS. I have most of the parts availabe except for the LCD screen which is what concerns me.. I have done my research including harddrive shock resistance and DCDC convertors and an ignition controlled ATX switch.

Anybody have any questions for me, let me know. But really need to know if the 11.3" screen will definitely fit becausei am going to pick it up.. Its at Earth LCD's... www.earthlcd.com under LCD kits.

Thanks in advance.

ED

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Moderator

Actually i have been to your site many times getting further and further in my analysis as to whether everything woudl work..

According to your site, you say there is a slightly less than DIN size opening above the radio.

If this is so, is it possible that if i cut up the front panel and leave the ventx, i could probably fabricate the 11.3" screen in that area?? there is such a huge space there.. but i don't have the car in my possession.

Also where you took the storage bin, would it be possible toput a deck in to that opening??

THe primary purpose of my CD receiver is to interface with my cellualr fone as i have setup in my protege, and use it as an auxillary input for the computer in the trunk and for normal AM/FM/CD playback..

Thanks

PS.. YOur site is so insiteful i should pay you for the wokr and knowledge you provided.. LOL

Ed

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well, I would say that the factory space is 2 2/3 DIN size. You could cut into the plastic a little bit, but a 3rd DIN sized radio would not fit in depth because there is a steel pole re-inforcing the dash area. If you are putting a flat panel in there, then yes, that would probably work.

As far as the storage bin, there is absolutely nothing to tie anything to in that area if you were to cut it apart. If you were to cut out a square or even just one DIN opening, it would require about 20 Zip ties or something to even hold that radio in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm

As long as a din sized deck like mine would fit, that should be no problems in terms of bracing it because i will get some metal work down to cage the comparment and secure the deck .

I most likely will be refabricating the lower storage console out of fiberglass to give it a better oem look.

I hope to complete this project within the year.. I have some more schooling to do, but i am collecting as much information as i can.

Hopefully if i am successful, i could probably market this system to any altima 02 owners... because it would look much better than that weird looking circular deck..

Besides its not that more expensive to do an incar computer as compared to DVD player and motorized 6.4" LCD.. Several of my friends have went this route and it seems very unusful because most of the times drives are short and you can't really watch movies..

Any other comments??

PS. I don't want to do this in my protege ( was thinking about it last year but since my car is dying, i figure save the componenets for the altima)..

ED

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,137 Posts
MiniRX7/Maxima PWR, thats a very interesting concept, and I would be intrigued to see it in action. You mentioned about hard drive shock, and I was curious what you will do to avoid that. Are there special hard drives built to take the abuse a car dishes up? I would definitely consider installing a computer in my car if I knew it would be safe and it would survive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HD shock

Well, the only thing that concerns me is that i live in Canada and hte winter may have some tool as it is in the negative degrees celsius temperatures..

But to combat HD shock, i have read many implementations and the best way to preven tform harddrive failure is to mount the drive vertically as opposed to horizontally because when the drive is mounted horizontally, vibrations can cause the heads to hit the platters of the drive.. If mounted veritcally, there will be no head shock..

And most newer harddrives can withstand quite a bit of shock.. making it safe..

ED

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.