The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leasing a 2.5SL that I believe I got a great deal on. I leased an Altima several years ago, then a Maxima, now back to the AWESOME 2002 Altima. I have been very happy leasing my cars. It seems like everyone else here has financed. Is there anyone else here that is leasing their Altima and are happy doing so???

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
We're leasing both of our cars (see sig). We've leased 5 cars since 1996 ('96 Alty, '96 Max, '99 Camry, '00 Alty, '02 Max). When we dumped the '99 Camry after 10 months we bought a '00 Maxima GXE, but we never keep cars more than 3 years (we were already getting antsy to upgrade from the '00 Max) so buying just doesn't make sense for us. We saved almost $80 per month to lease the new '02 Max SE under what we were paying for the '00 Max GXE -- obviously we got a lot more car for less.

I have also never had a problem with Nissan's lease program. I turned in my '96 Alty SE with a cracked windshield and lots of door dings, things the inspector said would be charged to me, but Nissan sent me a letter saying they were waiving the charges the inspector had added up. (I'm guessing it was because I was way under on mileage. They denied that, but it was nice of them in any case.) Leasing's not for everyone, but it is the thing for us.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Leasing

This is my third lease and I am absolutely convinced that it is the way to go. Buying a car here with 15% tax added is criminal and when you trade or sell you lose the tax you have paid. By leasing here you pay the tax only for the amount of time you have the car, thus saying a substancial amount.

If you are the type who enjoys new cars every few years, this is the way to go.
If you lease and hate the thing, you sometimes can opt out of the lease. This should be checked out with the dealer prior to signing.

When leasing you can turn the car in and walk away or you have the option of buying it at the price agreed on at the beginning of the lease(called the residual). This is called an Open End Lease.

I will probably buy this 2K2 V6 SE at the end of the lease, it is awesome.:angel1:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: Leasing

Ratwayne said:
This is my third lease and I am absolutely convinced that it is the way to go. Buying a car here with 15% tax added is criminal and when you trade or sell you lose the tax you have paid. By leasing here you pay the tax only for the amount of time you have the car, thus saying a substancial amount.

If you are the type who enjoys new cars every few years, this is the way to go.
If you lease and hate the thing, you sometimes can opt out of the lease. This should be checked out with the dealer prior to signing.

When leasing you can turn the car in and walk away or you have the option of buying it at the price agreed on at the beginning of the lease(called the residual). This is called an Open End Lease.

I will probably buy this 2K2 V6 SE at the end of the lease, it is awesome.:angel1:
15% is criminal. Where's the offset? Property Tax, better schools,
health care? And I thought 6.25% (TX) was bad...geesh!

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
Re: Leasing

Ratwayne said:
Except here in Virginia. They charge you sales tax (albeit only 3.1%, but still) on the purchase price of the car, not just on the amount you're paying for or "using" during the term of the lease.

:angry1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Re: Leasing

SE-Rious said:

15% is criminal. Where's the offset? Property Tax, better schools,
health care? And I thought 6.25% (TX) was bad...geesh!
It's called 'Welcome to Canada'! :angry1:

·
Registered
19 Posts
RichieS said:
I am leasing a 2.5SL that I believe I got a great deal on. I leased an Altima several years ago, then a Maxima, now back to the AWESOME 2002 Altima. I have been very happy leasing my cars. It seems like everyone else here has financed. Is there anyone else here that is leasing their Altima and are happy doing so???
Leasing here too, a few reasons-new model year, when you get board you can turn it in for the 2006 Altima!(hopefully more horse & a 6 speed) and $730.00+ a month to purchase over the same term does take a good bite out of the pocket money!:eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe the dealer I went to was jerking my chain (probability 99%), but they quoted me $450/mo for a 12k/yr 60 mo. lease (more for a 15k 36mo), and ONLY $500/mo for 60 month to purchase.

I leased my last car (Accord), becasue it has trememndous resale value. I was only paying $228/mo for a 15k/yr, 36 mo. lease. But the lease got sold twice during the term, anf they raised the buy back price by almost $2k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Davard, don't do it!

Davard, $450/ mo for a 60 month lease is criminal. Is that with -$4K down? Are you upside down in a turn in? If not, run away from that dealer. You should negotiate a sales price as if you are going to purchase the car and once you have agreed on the price, tell them, "oh, yeah...I decided to lease it at this price." You should be able to get $380 on a 39 month lease with about $1500 or so down. Use the calculator at http://www.nissandriven.com Be aware that those payments are estimated based on MSRP. You should not pay MSRP anyway.

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
All the Nissan vehicles we have leased are 96 SE Pathfinder, 97 GXE Altima and the 2 we have are 2000 GLE Altima and 2000 LE Pathfinder before them was a Caddy, 90 Galant 5 years lease 60k returned with about 200k on the car, 94 Camry 2 year lease and then the Nissan's best cars so far:cool:

Hey for those who lease what do you do besides changing the oil:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just as food for thought...

My wife bought her first car at 16 years of age and got a Toyota Tercel. She paid $300 a month for it. She kept it till it was paid off and bought a Honda Accord. Payemnts were $340. Now that is paid off we traded it in and bought a 2002 Altima. Payments are $360.

That's why we buy and don't lease. If you buy the right car you retain enough equity to buy a better car the next time for a similar monthly payment. Not only that, today we have 20K equity in the car.

Cheers,
...Colin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Davard, $450/ mo for a 60 month lease is criminal. Is that with -$4K down? Are you upside down in a turn in? If not, run away from that dealer. You should negotiate a sales price as if you are going to purchase the car and once you have agreed on the price, tell them, "oh, yeah...I decided to lease it at this price." You should be able to get $380 on a 39 month lease with about $1500 or so down.
I have to agree here. My lease is on a 2.5SL model for 42 months at $330. a month. I put $1500 down and made the first months payment. Total of $1830. I have to say I think I got a good deal! My wife and I are going back to the dealer to lease an Xterra for her.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Buy Lease?

Obviously, there are pros and cons for either decision.

High tax rate areas prompt people to lease unless they can afford higher payments with a purchase.

If you keep your car a long time buy it...again if you can afford the higher payments when purchasing.

Leasing allows the average guy/babe to have more car and the option to purchase at the end. This is still my choice.

:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts