The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 Altima and Maxima seems to share the same auto shift knob. But I would love to switch Altima's plastic one with Maxima's leather one.

Doesn't anyone know if this is possible? If it is, does anyone know where I can get Nissan oem parts on the web for cheap?

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Shift knobs

A friend manufactures titanium shift knobs with an optical lenz on top that holds an emblem that can be backlit in the matching dash light color. After I get my Alti We will design a custom shift knob for it. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Shift knobs

Dallas said:
A friend manufactures titanium shift knobs with an optical lenz on top that holds an emblem that can be backlit in the matching dash light color. After I get my Alti We will design a custom shift knob for it. I will keep you posted.
Woah! How would you wire that into the transmission? Even it's not light up I would love to get one with the new Nissan logo in it. Post a picture when you get it.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
I replaced mine with a brushed aluminium Momo. It is really sweet. The Altima automatic- It just unscrews counter clockwise in one piece. No buttons or clips. Easy.
You can replce it with any manual type knob.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
akima said:
I replaced mine with a brushed aluminium Momo. It is really sweet. The Altima automatic- It just unscrews counter clockwise in one piece. No buttons or clips. Easy.
You can replce it with any manual type knob.
Got a pic? I always wonder what it would look like.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
Will try after I get my digital camera back from repair or will try the photo disc thing.

·
3.5 SE
181 Posts
Xtrema said:
02 Altima and Maxima seems to share the same auto shift knob. But I would love to switch Altima's plastic one with Maxima's leather one.

Doesn't anyone know if this is possible? If it is, does anyone know where I can get Nissan oem parts on the web for cheap?

Thanks
im wondering the same thing

·
F**ked Up Member
55 Posts
Becareful!!

Don't buy most manual shiftknobs!!!

Because the Alti Auto is 8mm diameter, and most shift knobs that screw on for manuals are either 10mm or 12mm. Trust me I learned the hard way. So make sure when you purchase a shift knob it comes with some kind of spacer adapter. Unless you get MOMO or some Razo's that come with side set screws, instead of screwing it on the shifter types.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Someone wrapped the stock shifter in leather....i thought it looked pretty good...i think it was edjack, not sure tho, check out his registry profile, i think he has a pic of it on there.

·
Winter hater!
159 Posts
Nope! Don't do it!

Xtrema said:

Thanks
I also thought the Max's auto leather knob was same as Alty's plastic knob..... in fact visually they look identical except of course for the leather! So.... I bought an OEM 2002 Maxima SE leather knob from a Nissan dealer at a ridiculous price tag!.... only to find that the threads and the inner configuration of the Max knob is in fact quite different from the Altima!!!!! End result... I'm left with a very pricey desk ornament paperweight!!! :(
Anyone know a 2002 Max owner looking for an OEM auto leather knob???? ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Nope! Don't do it!

altiman02 said:

I also thought the Max's auto leather knob was same as Alty's plastic knob..... in fact visually they look identical except of course for the leather! So.... I bought an OEM 2002 Maxima SE leather knob from a Nissan dealer at a ridiculous price tag!.... only to find that the threads and the inner configuration of the Max knob is in fact quite different from the Altima!!!!! End result... I'm left with a very pricey desk ornament paperweight!!! :(
Are You sure of that, I am not calling you a liar but I was told they were interchangable?

Baring that, if the thread is different take it to a machine shop and get it tapped for the same thread as the Alty`s Knob.

Or send it to me, I`ll find a way to attach it.:cool: :D

·
F**ked Up Member
55 Posts
Not a matter of thread.

Its the diameter of the shifter, Alti's are only 8mm while others that I know of are mostly 10mm. So it just hangs there w/o threading on and spins freely.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did not believe it myself because I've had my eye on a Max shift knob also. I just went out and measured my shifter and sure as shit it was 8mm with a 1.25 pitch. Now I need to look for an 8mm to 10mm metric adapter.

·
3.5 SE
181 Posts
Re: Nope! Don't do it!

altiman02 said:

how much was it?

·
Winter hater!
159 Posts
Re: Not a matter of thread.

2.5Zigen said:
Its the diameter of the shifter, Alti's are only 8mm while others that I know of are mostly 10mm. So it just hangs there w/o threading on and spins freely.
Actually... its the opposite.... The plastic threaded diameter on the Max knob is in fact smaller than the Alti shift post!!!! The knob can't begin to thread because of the reduced diameter!
I'm afraid to try to enlarge and re-thread the plastic inner bushing of the knobbecause I'm sure it will just shred and break up.

·
Winter hater!
159 Posts
Re: Re: Nope! Don't do it!

Ratwayne said:

Are You sure of that, I am not calling you a liar but I was told they were interchangable?

Baring that, if the thread is different take it to a machine shop and get it tapped for the same thread as the Alty`s Knob.

Or send it to me, I`ll find a way to attach it.:cool: :D
Well... thank you for not calling me a liar ;)
Believe me, they are definitely NOT interchangable! I found out the expensive way!! The threaded diameter of the inner plastic bushing is smaller than the Alti shift post. So the threads never "catch".
I'm afraid to enlarge and re-thread the plastic bushing... I'm sure it will just shred, crack or break to pieces.

Sure, I'll send it to ya.... $60 and it's yours! :D

·
Winter hater!
159 Posts
Too much!!!!!

sht dawg said:

how much was it?
Dealer list for $105

I have a friend in the biz.... so I got it wholesale for $85

·
3.5 SE
181 Posts
Re: Too much!!!!!

altiman02 said:

Dealer list for $105

I have a friend in the biz.... so I got it wholesale for $85
:eek: OMG! thats crazy!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Nope! Don't do it!

altiman02 said:

Well... thank you for not calling me a liar ;)
Believe me, they are definitely NOT interchangable! I found out the expensive way!! The threaded diameter of the inner plastic bushing is smaller than the Alti shift post. So the threads never "catch".
I'm afraid to enlarge and re-thread the plastic bushing... I'm sure it will just shred, crack or break to pieces.

Sure, I'll send it to ya.... $60 and it's yours! :D
Ok, I now get the picture. It would be risky to remove or rethread the PLASTIC bushing. Namn plastic, too bad it wasn`t aluminum or brass.

BTW if you haven`t used it can`t you return it and pay say a reshelfing or return fee of $5 to $10 bucks?

·
Winter hater!
159 Posts
I wish....

Ratwayne said:

BTW if you haven`t used it can`t you return it and pay say a reshelfing or return fee of $5 to $10 bucks?
No such luck.... I've tried... It wasn't an in stock part when I got it, dealer had to order it. So of course now dealer says no returns on special order parts. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts