The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have invoked the lemon law on my 2.5S due to the fact that the dealer could not repair a clunking noise in the front suspension of my Altima. It clunked when starting to move from a stop. Nissan is going to start the "final inspection/repair attempt" on 5 April. They have already attempted to fix this about 8 times. The car has been in the dealer about 30 days total and I bought it in late Feb. At least the dealer has been very responsive about it and in fact the dealer told me that if Nissan did not replace the car than He (the owner) would!:D I just want the madness to stop. I know the dealers number by heart and I have about convinced them to place me on their payroll as much time as I have spent there. This was my first Nissan and it does not leave a good taste in my mouth or give me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

Paul

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
23,056 Posts
Dealer

At least you have a good dealer to work with, tell thme for all of the trouble they caused you...........you want a new 3.5

·
Registered
90 Posts
problems

I have a file open with Nissan consumer affairs for the clunking in the rear. It really clunks now, even on the highway. I also filed a report with the Better Business Bureau, Auto division. They are going to contact nissan for me. I've taken my car in 7 times and they still cant fix it. The dealers here said ALL their Altimas do that. I went to a dealer in northern wisconsin and test drove 5 2.5's and none made that noise. I talked to their service dept and they have had no complaints yet about noise. I would like a clunkless Altima.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does yours sound like a pop under the car, somewhere between the drivers front suspension and the shifter?
If so, I have that in my 2.5s Auto.
I have not talked to the dealer about it other than to stop by and have them log the complaint.
I am going to deal with it, until they get a fix.
They gotta do something, because of all the complaints...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Paul

My GF's Altima did the same thing. I think she wrote you about it, how one of the bolts in the lower control arm was under-torqued. I know you said that it was checked out. Well, after she had the bolt tightened, the clunking noise went away for a month or so. Then it came back. They had a tech from Nissan look at it. Originally, the bolt looked fine and was seemingly appropriately tight, so they were mystified. However, when they went to remove the bolt, it turns out it had sheared off internally. It had been cross-threaded at the factory during assembly. The problem was invisible until the bolt was removed.

It may not be the same problem you are having, but how in the hell did they cross-thread a bolt during assembly in the first place? I'd have them take a look at the bolts (i.e., remove them).

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the noise is similar to a popping or clunking coming from the front. You can feel it in the steering and feel the vibration in the floorboard. The dealer has replaced both lower control arms so I hope that they would have noticed any problems with bolts:eek: .
All I can say for anyone having consistant problems is: be persistant and keep a record of everything that occurs to your vehicle and how long it has been in the shop. I would not rely on the dealer to keep accurate records of everything that they do to your vehicle.

Paul

·
Registered
273 Posts
McFly:
Yes, I have the same deal.
I feel it in the floor and in the wheel and sometimes in the shifter.
Keeping track of it so far.
The car is going in the shop when I get back from New Orleans next week.
I have been trying to carry my handheld with me in the car to "catch the car in the act" so to speak in making the noise.
Good luck and keep us posted with what happens to yours.
Greg

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Where R the Experts?

Almost Everyone Has Mentioned a clunking in the rear of their rides. Come On Guys come out of the Closet.

I need some backup when I go to the dealer.....

Is it the wiring harness or the struts or what?

·
*Honorary Member* the dream!!!
552 Posts
damn, I wish they would replace my vehicle...although now that it's been wrecled they probably would die before they do

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Nissan dealer technical support representative looked at it Friday and suspects that a bushing on the subframe is causing the noise. They are ordering a new subframe. The dealer told me that this was a very substantial repair with the entire front suspension and the engine removed. For some reason I do not think that they will be able to complete this in the 9 business days that they have left to complete the final repair attempt under the Lemon Law. I'll keep you posted.

·
Silent Runner
1,046 Posts
McFly said:
The Nissan dealer technical support representative looked at it Friday and suspects that a bushing on the subframe is causing the noise. They are ordering a new subframe. The dealer told me that this was a very substantial repair with the entire front suspension and the engine removed. For some reason I do not think that they will be able to complete this in the 9 business days that they have left to complete the final repair attempt under the Lemon Law. I'll keep you posted.
How many days do they have under the Lemon Law?
Does Canada have this law?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the US the lemon laws vary by state. In SC you can send a lemon law letter to the manufacturer after reasonable (about 3) attempts to repair the same defect or if your vehicle is out of service for a total of 30 days during the first year for any and all repairs (this is cumulative). I am sure the province in Canada has some variation of this law, check with a lawyer. Here in SC after they receive your letter they have 10 business days to contact you to set up a final repair attempt/inspection. They have 10 business days from this appointment to repair your vehicle. If unsuccessful they must either replace your vehicle with a equivilant vehicle or buy back the vehicle (this is the manufacturers choice not mine). All in all a very time consuming and frustrating procedure that is in no way friendly to the consumer and believe me that the manufacturer is not going to point out to you that, oh by the way you can file for the lemon law. I recommend that anyone on this path keep detailed records of all that occurs to your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 3.5 SE man. 2 days after i got it the car started
missing and I told the dealer. I took it in and they said they didn't feel the car missing but they reset the car cpu. this happen 3 times and then they finally said the factory said to replace the coils. I got it back and it didn't fix it. Ive own the car for less than
a month and had it in the shop 6 times for the same prob. The nissan customer service person said that the all the v6's had a slite miss but I test drove 3 new one and they did do it. My lawyer
is going to call the nissan corp. tuesday. MY lawyer said my car is covered by the lemon law. 6 times in a month is to many time
for one problem. the dealer has had enough time to fix the prob. service dept. at airport nissan,knox,tn suck!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2::angry2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.