The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive currently found out that I have a lifter tapping, I know you have to adjust them , I guess Im lucky I only have one tapping, how easy is it to adjust them? How serious is it or how serious can it get? I know I need to have it do ASAP> The car doesnt run any different but its jus the thought of something being not right.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Hey ShoNuff.
That's bad news for you...

It's very hard to adjust them, you really got to know what you are doing to do it yourself. It takes special tool to lift the rocker arm, measure the gap, then you get the shims, measure it with micrometr and see what is left to get to specs, go from there, either get new ship, or use the one from another valve.

I personally don't have a micrometer and the tool to lcompress the spring of the rocker arm. Micrometr costs from around $50 and up for good ones.

The procedure of adjustment would cost hundreeds of bucks. I think it brings several hours of labor...

Even worse thing, it might not be actually lifter, it could be cam shaft, camshaft gear or timing chain.

Needs to be fixed though.... good luck

Let us know later how u handled it.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took it to the nissan dealer here and they said its not that hard and said im lucky its just one tapping, far left one they said it isnt tapping bad but it does need adjusting they said its just loose it needs to be tightend

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
it sounds like metallic clapping. click click click click. so on.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
do it before small problems turn into big problems.

·
Screamin' Seamin'
561 Posts
This might be something possible that you can do to tighten the lifter. Its messy but it works. People who rebuild a chevy engine have to do this, unless they have all the gismos to do the job the right way. Remove your valve cover and make sure to lay towels around the engine bay. Then have someone start the car and while the engine is running use a socket and a ratchet and slowly tighten down the lifter until it stops ticking. Now this trick works for a chevy 350cui, so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for the altima. You will make a mess, and oil will splash around, but it should only be minimal. However, if its a large amount of oil gushing up and out then shut her down and send it to a real mechanic.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
Absolut_Vodka98 said:
Then have someone start the car and while the engine is running use a socket and a ratchet and slowly tighten down the lifter until it stops ticking.
that's a method solely used to set a rocker arm. Not applicable on the KA24DE, not even the KA24E since it uses hydraulic lifters. It is applicable to Z series and SOHC CA series engines.

The KA24DE valvetrain is very similar to Toyota's 4AGE, here's a link: http://www.club4ag.com/faq and tech_pages/Lifter Tuning.html The only thing connecting the cam lobes to the valves in KA24DE are these buckets, and you have to shim it from the top. Again, there are no rocker arms. Been there.

Need I post a picture from the FSM?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
ASHURA said:
there's no need to compress the valve spring, and KA24DE unlike KA24E doesn't have rocker arm. A feeler gauge also helps in determining how thick a shim (or a combination of shims) you'd need.
Wouldn't it be neat if everyone's replys to technical questions were based on the actual car being discussed? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts