The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going. Many people have asked me to do a write up on this, but with school and work I just havn't had the time to do that yet. I searched clearing headlights here, and got the instructions. It's not that big of a deal, you just have to be careful and take your time. I used a heat gun instead of a hair dryer. I think that is a better way to go. Everything went like they said accept when I put it back together. I got it a little to hot when I took it apart, and some of the black plastic tabs got messed up. sSo when I put it back togeter I just heated the black part so it basicly melted back together. I did this to make sure it would be sealed. I was getting moister in one lense up until about a week ago I just filled in the gaps with clear sylicon and it stopped. One thing I will tell you the factory will know if you take this apart I was not able to get mine back the way it was, so the warranty on the lenses will be void. also check out how much a new one is first and see if it is somthing you want to afford to pay for if you break it and if the mod is worth it. Good luck, don't be to nervous. I was a little but I got over it. If you have any more ?'s just ask.:D

·
Winter hater!
549 Posts
Too Risky !

justinhere said:
I was getting moister in one lense up until about a week ago I just filled in the gaps with clear sylicon and it stopped. One thing I will tell you the factory will know if you take this apart I was not able to get mine back the way it was, so the warranty on the lenses will be void.
Sounds waaaaaayy too risky for me... :eek:

If the seal is not restored 100% perfectly, you WILL get inner lens moisture that will never really clear up!... only gets worse with temperature fluctuations!

I also wouldn't want to intentionally void the warranty on my VERY pricey HID's!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Too Risky !

altiman02 said:

Sounds waaaaaayy too risky for me... :eek:

If the seal is not restored 100% perfectly, you WILL get inner lens moisture that will never really clear up!... only gets worse with temperature fluctuations!

I also wouldn't want to intentionally void the warranty on my VERY pricey HID's!!! :rolleyes:
The moisture in mine cleared up fast with the lights on and since I put the new sylicon in the gaps it's been fine.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Would it be possible to cut off the tabs and clean off the stuff Nissan glued them together with after disassembly, and then to reassemble them with a silicone bead?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Altimat said:
Would it be possible to cut off the tabs and clean off the stuff Nissan glued them together with after disassembly, and then to reassemble them with a silicone bead?
I don't think so. Some of the tabs broke just from geetng hot and me trying to pry them back. The glue they have on there is the worst. I couldn't even get it off the tools I used hot or cold. Are you gonna try and put black inserts in there?

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
I like the idea of losing the orange, but I would need to fill the rectangle (side marker), add a clear lense over the turn signal bulb (to conceal the filled rectangle from the bulb side), and do something with the triangle on the side. Filling the rectangle would then require painting the chrome inside with the exception of the reflector portions around the bulbs. If it was siliconed on it would be much easier to reassemble and to reopen later for any reason. Tons of work. So was reassembling them any easier than disassembling them?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Altimat said:
[ So was reassembling them any easier than disassembling them? [/B]
No, not really. I had to heat up a portion at a time hold it together then I used a rag with ice cold water on it to cool it quickly while it was held together. I also had to heat it up enough to basicly melt the gle and black plastic back together. if I hadn't broken a lot of those plastic tabs I wouldn't have had to do that. That is also why I can't take mine apart again. I wish I could though becase somthing I think from my strobes got hot and left a haze on the inside of the lenes and I can't clean it out. The part that scared me was pulling the chorme painted part away from the back of the lenes. You just have to pull it hard and I thought I was going to break it. You also have to be careful the chrome comes off the plastic pretty easily. If you were to cover all that with black do you think there will still be enough reflection for the headlights to light the road. I had a Mazada 929 a few years ago and I put black vinyl with holes cut for the lights over the front of my lenses. It looked good but reduced the light a lot.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
If I had a spare set or a fat bank account I'd give it a try. Can't risk f'ing them up right now. Nice work though, looks great!

·
Winter hater!
549 Posts
Altimat said:
If I had a spare set or a fat bank account I'd give it a try. Can't risk f'ing them up right now.
Exactly!!!....

but no doubt the cleared look is very nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts