·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw an ad online (ona few diff sites), limo service was hiring drivers:

-$20/hour + daily commision
- medical benefits after 90 days
- must be at least 18 with DL, no exp necessary

i called left a message, guy calls me back, tell me above info, and that drivers make up their own hours, PT or FT, basically just drive around weatlhy peeps around town, they give u a luxury car and u keep it at ur house or leave it at the lot, and that fort he first week i have to give them 500 bucks, just in case i mess up the car, aftert hat week, they refund the money and if i mess up the car after that they will take it out of my check.....he tells me he needs my DL# to check if its a valid, i give it to him, he callls me back, says its good, says next step if for me to call him back tomorrow morning, and fill out an application "over the phone", then i would send him the $$ via western union, and later that day he would have a driver come get me and take me back tot he lot, fill out paperwork/contract, and i'd start right away.

i can't seem to find trhis business listed anywhere, yellow pages, internet, nothing, he wouldnt give me the exact address, just that it was around the southwest loop/galleria area, my question is, is this how limo services usually operate, and where can i check if his business is legit...also any houston people ever heard of Peter's cars and limos???

and easy on the "this is too good and sounds fishy u dumbass" remarks, :mad: if this is legit, its a very good opportunity for a student like me, so im not throwing it out the window just based on a "bad feeling"

·
its a sleeper. really
751 Posts
Yeah, this sounds like a scam my friend would pull, and he's living in that area right now.

Let me ask you this... have you ever had a job where you pay $500 to start? Why would you do it now? Can you pay with a credit card instead of a Money Gram from Western Union?
This last one should not be a problem b/c a limo company would take credit cards almost exclusively. I guarantee that he will have an excuse why a CC will not work.

What are you studying, I hope you're not a business major.

All that said, I hope it is a real good opportunity for you and everything is legit.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
I smell scam to get your $500. I would suggest if this is legit, which I highly doubt, that you pay them the money in person. Also, NEVER, EVER send anything via Western Union. WU workers are the biggest thieves of them all. They are the ones who actually create most of the scams out there.

Also, I would think any reputible limo company would not make their driver responsible. It would be like working at a restaurant and having to pay for a broken dish if you accidentally dropped it.

JMO.

·
Registered
692 Posts
dude how fishy is that. they refund the 500$ after a week? and even then it still coems out of your check if you damage the car? you will never see him or that 500$ again if u give it up.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right now my major is kinesiology, not sure if i'll keep it though....

and yeah i asked him if i could go down there and fill it out myself, and he said "he wasn't trying to be rude" but that if i was interested then i had to follow those steps, that he is running a business and he understands my concern but that he also has to watch out for his business, or some crap like that, and that he doesnt have to beg anyone to take a $20 an hour job so its up to me if i wanna pursue it or not.

Im not sure if the $500 would be like a deductible or sumn.....he said since i would get payed every friday that after the one week they could take the money from my check....

but i noticed a few limo services dont list their actual address on the yellow pages online, so i was thinking maybe they are usually secretive like this about their location for security purposes??

·
Back by unpopular demand
1,628 Posts
as far as i know, you need to be 21 and probably need a lil more then your average class c license. also, i'm sure they'd wanna train you on how to drive the car so you don't get stuck in any allys. all in all, it seems like total scam to me, since most limo companies would have at least a cheap website if thier customers are "wealthy people." and if they get enough business that the driver can descide when he wants to work, they MUST be somewhat well known. plus, you'd think if they were giving you their expensive limos, they'd wanna see you in person and give an interview or something...my vote is for scam.

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Originally posted by sixthman6 and easy on the "this is too good and sounds fishy u dumbass" remarks, :mad: if this is legit, its a very good opportunity for a student like me, so im not throwing it out the window just based on a "bad feeling"
holy shit. you are gullible and naive.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sixthman6 said:
i can't seem to find this business listed anywhere, yellow pages, internet, nothing, he wouldnt give me the exact address,
all i have is the number from the ad, which wasnt the office number, it was just a recording for those claling about the ad..........and i have his cell number (humm now that i think about it, he never said this was his cell number, its the number he called me from, who knows what it is).....also, the number on the ad was not a local number, but the number he called me from was.

oh yeah and i called my sister afterward and asked her to call the number on the ad tomorrow asking about getting a limo, and have her ask for an dress or other contact info.

and if i was gullible and naive i wouldn't have thought twice about this and wouldnt have bothered to check up on it. You can't always dismiss sumn cus it sounds too good, it doesnt hurt to check it out, if its legit, then thats great, if it isnt, then oh well, as long as i dont send the money, its not gonna hurt me to ckec up on it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and this was for car drivers only, not the limos. He said once they took me over there they would go over the "do's and donts", etc.

·
4,020 Posts
And if they won't give her the address to preview the vehicles prior to renting, then I call total scam!! I would never rent a limo or car service from a company (unless it was a car service my company already deals with) without seeing what condition the cars are in first.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
called the BBB, they said they were in their system, but had no actual report since it was a new business, they have only had it since friday, and i can't seem to find them listed at the county clerk's

·
Got Coffee?
373 Posts
You need more than a regular license to driver a limo (any type of car). You need some type of Livery License.

Why don't you just call another limo place and ask them if it sounds legit to the way they do buisness? Use your head though, the whole thing is just a big scam. You have to pay BEFORE you meet them??? rigggghhhhhhttttt...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah im being careful, im checking out everything possible first, yeah i wanted to call a limo place, but u gotta find a friendly one, a lot of them aren't too happy about you wasting their time on a limo service that isnt theirs.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I worked for a conference center owned by marriot. i'm assuming things were very different.

this place sounds like a scam though. the last person i'd give money to is a person i'm looking to work for and make money off of. I would never pay to have a job.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
called the city...they said that regardless of wether im driving a limo or car, as long as its for a limo service i must have a limo DL, but i only have to be 18....and this guy never mentioned anything about havign to get one, so im waiting for him to call me back so i can question him some more..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts