The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to offer advice on any of these topics. OH...and I haven't given up on the old girl just yet. I'm not quite ready to sell. :)

1993 Altima SE platinum metallic 5 spd

1. messed up driver's side bumper cover (overlaps fender where I smacked it into garage...fell off jack while painting calipers.

2. when I open the sunroof...it strruggles a lot to close and then there is this really sticky black shit on the top of the glass

3. all four struts are blown beyond belief and squeek REALLY REALLY loud if I even hit a crack in the pavement (Intrax drop on stock SE MacPhersons)

4. passenger side brake is partially seized even though I did a $700 complete brake system replacement 2 months ago

5. tires suck (despite only having 3000miles on them...Goodyear M&Ts) so when it rains I slide like 60 feet if I hit the brakes doing 25MPH

6. ABS doesn't work....won't hear me complain about THHAT tough :D

7. stupid body shop only replaced passenger side headlight after accident, so lights don't match...1=aftermarket..pretty clear 2=original 1993...almost solid white

8. exhaust is so goddamn loud I can't hear my stereo on the friggen HIGHWAY. The guy at the shop suggested a SECOND RESONATOR (Ractive 4 1/2" single, Catco hi-flo, WAI)

9. belts are really noisy, cracking

10. driver's side doorlock is busted, froze last winter and never recovered

11. rear wheel-wells are rusted

12. the thin black (painted) steel column rising up the rear driver's side window is rusted a bit

13. car has 185,000 KMS (not miles thank god) on it

14. driver's side axle was changed twice within 2 weeks (2nd one was free), still sounds like shit

15. just got all my bearings (tranny, limited slip differential) changed and now the tranny is leaking and the clutch feels "crunchy" :confused:

16. front driver side rim is oxidized (covered in rotten-looking white powder shit)

I'm sure there's more....I'll add it if I think of it.

This may be a bit too emotional for some of you, and if you've really worked hard on your car because you love it, despite having little money and not much experience, then you know how I feel. I trully love this car, and even though I go without eating anything but what it takes to sustain my life, in order to save what little money I can to fix up the car, it STILL breaks my heart every time. I'm really getting depressed, but it's like a woman in a lot of ways, a guy's RELATIONSHIP to his car, because there comes a point where you have to ask yourself if it's time to move on, and whether you can handle another crushing blow. I tell myself I can do it, get a few more dollars and make it right, but then right away something else goes wrong.

On next-to-no salary, paying my own apartment, food, gas, smokes, car registration, insurance, car loan, computer loan etc....I literally fall $5 SHORT every month to cover my expenses. I have sacrificed EVERYTHING to get this so far:

1993 Altima SE, 5spd, plat. metallic, OEM 5stars/side skirts
-2" Intrax drop
-custom non-guttermesh grille
-painted: b-pillars, mirrors, valve cover, rotors/calipers, tails
-shaved symbols (ALL)
-shaved trunk lock
-WAI
-LED turn signals
-Brembo rotors
-shaved side mouldings
-Catco Cat
-Ractive muffler

Anyways...sorry, had to vent. I'm so fed up. Any encouraging words are appreciated. To anybody who bothered to read all of this, thanks. :)

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
everything thats been wrong with my car:
needed brake pads.
needed tires.
needed oil changes.
needed belt change.
seems like none of ur problem is the car's fault.

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chiadog said:
everything thats been wrong with my car:
needed brake pads.
needed tires.
needed oil changes.
needed belt change.
seems like none of ur problem is the car's fault.
Chia....seriously, I do the maintenace shit at the proper time intervals, always get it inspected, change oil, change pads, change plugs....it's probably NOT the car's fault, I know. It's the ASS****ER mechanics who've been screwing it up cuz they don't know how to do their jobs. I seriously don't know the last time I had a problem, took it in, got it fixed, and the car was ok after. I've been to like 12 different shops in the past 6 months. Because every one that tinkers with the car screws it up worse than it was before. Then they drive it with me in the passenger seat when I bring it back, and say "Seems prefectly fine to me."

·
7,727 Posts
altima8 said:
Feel free to offer advice on any of these topics. OH...and I haven't given up on the old girl just yet. I'm not quite ready to sell. :)

1. messed up driver's side bumper cover (overlaps fender where I smacked it into garage...fell off jack while painting calipers.

3. all four struts are blown beyond belief and squeek REALLY REALLY loud if I even hit a crack in the pavement (Intrax drop on stock SE MacPhersons)

5. tires suck (despite only having 3000miles on them...Goodyear M&Ts) so when it rains I slide like 60 feet if I hit the brakes doing 25MPH

7. stupid body shop only replaced passenger side headlight after accident, so lights don't match...1=aftermarket..pretty clear 2=original 1993...almost solid white

8. exhaust is so goddamn loud I can't hear my stereo on the friggen HIGHWAY. The guy at the shop suggested a SECOND RESONATOR (Ractive 4 1/2" single, Catco hi-flo, WAI)

12. the thin black (painted) steel column rising up the rear driver's side window is rusted a bit

16. front driver side rim is oxidized (covered in rotten-looking white powder shit)

-2" Intrax drop

As far as I can tell none of these things listed are the car's fault. BTW Intrax only gives a 1.75 inch drop.

·
Banned
0 Posts
you know, a lot of the things you listed in the original post can be easily and cheaply fixed if you are willing to spend some time.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
altima8 said:

stupid

2. when I open the sunroof...it strruggles a lot to close and then there is this really sticky black shit on the top of the glass

Needs new weather strip

buy new shocks

4. passenger side brake is partially seized even though I did a $700 complete brake system replacement 2 months ago

take it back and complain as loud as you can

buy better tires

6. ABS doesn't work....won't hear me complain about THHAT tough :D

nor will I

they have to replace items to LIKE condition.. having 2 mismatched lights isn't Like condition.. vitch to insurance if you went via them

can't help

9. belts are really noisy, cracking

buy new belts or dressing at the least

10. driver's side doorlock is busted, froze last winter and never recovered

wd-40

black paint..

nothing much to do there

14. driver's side axle was changed twice within 2 weeks (2nd one was free), still sounds like shit

see #4

15. just got all my bearings (tranny, limited slip differential) changed and now the tranny is leaking and the clutch feels "crunchy" :confused:

see #14 and 4

try some degreaser or some cleaner.

I'm sure there's more....I'll add it if I think of it.

so will I :D

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
Carnegee79 said:
Victor doesn't post a lot any more. He justs posts longer.
if you do a search in OT.. you'd know why I'm not posting much...

until Friday.... Computer crashed at work and I have no net access. have to scurry and hop on coworkers computers to getonline.

and at home after 10pm or before go to work... sucks.. but they come and will reformat my machine thursday so all will be good.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
About the headlights, you should bake the old one and clean it. I've never tried, but it should look like new when you're done

·
stick shifter.
187 Posts
altima8. I've got a 93 SE that's got very similar probs to that. Except all four of my rims are oxidized, i've got tons of rust around the doors, my hood is pitting, etc...

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
djsassan said:

i think it had to do with the probs from last night
That it did, sir. :D

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: List Of Everything Wrong With My Altima

mrdeucie said:

BTW Intrax only gives a 1.75 inch drop.
But my bumpstops are trimed one inch in front...so in reality, it's a 1.75" drop rear, 2.75" drop front. :D

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as promised

what # are we at?

#17 my car was even CRUNCHIER today, there is a strange *thump* in the underside that I really feel through the pedals. Feels like somebody is hanging out under the car smacking the floor under my feet with a tiny hammer. WTF is that?

victor...thank you so much. It's true, and what I really hoped somebody would say. They ARE just a bunch of small problems I guess. But it's KILLING me that it's only for about 1 day a month that the car runs really nice.

As for your suggestions:
I AM buying new struts, waiting til spring cuz I'm storing the car. Hopefully the Tokicos will be out.

My rims are WAY beyond any "cleaning", by oxidized I meant F*CKED. ::::D That's ok though, because I will be buying used 18"s if I can find some, also next spring.

As for the mismatched lights, the insurance company said that I'm lucky I have at least one new one. The car is "too old" to warrant changing both. PRICKS

And finally....the things related to "bitching"...I will try one more time to get this shit straightened out....I will bitch my bitchy little ass off, and if that doesn't work my "bitch" will call her boss who is a lawyer. :D

Thanks, vic. I appreciate your response.

·
7,727 Posts
Re: Re: Re: List Of Everything Wrong With My Altima

altima8 said:

But my bumpstops are trimed one inch in front...so in reality, it's a 1.75" drop rear, 2.75" drop front. :D
yeah but you modded to get it that low right. does it tell you to do that in the instructions? I think you may have said it did.

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: Re: List Of Everything Wrong With My Altima

mrdeucie said:

yeah but you modded to get it that low right. does it tell you to do that in the instructions? I think you may have said it did.
Yeah, the instructions had a list of cars that neede bumpstop trimming. The altima was there, eclipse and a few others. I had the garage trim EXACTLY one inch and the front and back are now exactly level...well....they were until I put 55 series tires on the front and not the back, but we won't get into that. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts