The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have 2015 Altima sl with 15k miles. Car is with fooler for FIX with noises from front and back.

Asked for a loaner, they went dead listening to my request. After few valid argument with the Rep, he gave me 2015 Sentra sl 4k miles as loaner. That's how Nissan will loose me a potential buyer going forward.

Drove Sentra the same route to and from work for a week. I felt Sentra has better chassis stiffener and suspension than a Yacht"Altima". The CVT is also responsive less droning more revving. That's more like Accord thingy.

Now I need some input of how I can make my Yacht a little more engaging to drive. I know....this is meant and build for straight line drive lol.. but I live in Texas where road(s) have turn(s)..:angel
Please advise.:nerd

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Have 2015 Altima sl with 15k miles. Car is with fooler for FIX with noises from front and back.

Asked for a loaner, they went dead listening to my request. After few valid argument with the Rep, he gave me 2015 Sentra sl 4k miles as loaner. That's how Nissan will loose me a potential buyer going forward.

Drove Sentra the same route to and from work for a week. I felt Sentra has better chassis stiffener and suspension than a Yatch "Altima". The CVT is also responsive less droning more revving. That's more like Accord thingy.

Now I need some input of how I can make my Yatch a little more engaging to drive. I know....this is meant and build for straight line drive lol.. but I live in Texas where road(s) have turn(s)..:angel
You lost me at "Yatch"

Reactions: 4DZC

·
Registered
189 Posts

Drove Sentra the same route to and from work for a week. I felt Sentra has better chassis stiffener and suspension than a Yatch "Altima". The CVT is also responsive less droning more revving. That's more like Accord thingy.

Now I need some input of how I can make my Yatch a little more engaging to drive. I know....this is meant and build for straight line drive lol.. but I live in Texas where road(s) have turn(s)..:angel
Did the gist of this post get lost in translation? Does this forum automatically translate languages other than English? If so, it is not doing a very good job!
...Maybe if I spoke fluent "Texanish" I could better respond to this post... :wink

Reactions: Throckmorton

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yacht edited. I was referring the body roll of Altima to a Yacht(a boat). Hope this will clear my Texanish English.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yacht edited. I was referring the body roll of Altima to a Yacht(a boat). Hope this will clear my Texanish English.
Sorry, we actually sort of gathered that.

The various Altima models do seem to have smaller wheels and higher profile tires than some other "family sedans". This is probably the main reason you feel the "yacht-like" wallowing in the twisties.

I purposely went to the more comfortable ride of the 2.5 SL from a Jetta with larger diameter, low profile tires. The Jetta handled like it was on rails, but it was also rougher, jarring, and with more road noise transmitted into the car.
Smaller diameter, higher profile snow tires are usually cheaper and easier to find as well, but that is likely not an issue for you in Texas. :wink

If you think you have problems with noises or rattles in your Altima now, larger wheels and lower profile tires will only make that worse. It may be the simplest and least expensive way to improve handling, but you might regret it. It would be easy enough to swap back to the standard wheels and tires if you didn't like the experience. Some have played with the suspension, but that is kind of hit or miss in my experience.

In my opinion, the Altima was designed as a comfortable family car, not a sports sedan. You could throw a lot of money at it and still not like the results. In the long run, you might just find that it would have been cheaper to buy the sports sedan in the first place.

Reactions: OkieScot

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The ride is exactly why I am driving the Altima now. I got rid of a two year old Honda Accord because it had a very harsh ride and uncomfortable seats. If you want a stiffer ride I highly recommend the Accord as it was a very nice car in most other respects.

I used to like a sporty ride but I chose British sports cars to take car of that habit. Most family sedans will never handle like a sports car so if that is how you want to drive get a sports car.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
You lost me at "Yatch"
lmao, me too! BUT, if you like the Sentra ride that much better....just get Nissan to buy back the "yatch" and then buy the "dingy"..i mean Sentra! :) Just an idea....dont feel compelled to take it.

Reactions: Throckmorton

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Sorry, we actually sort of gathered that.

The various Altima models do seem to have smaller wheels and higher profile tires than some other "family sedans". This is probably the main reason you feel the "yacht-like" wallowing in the twisties.

I purposely went to the more comfortable ride of the 2.5 SL from a Jetta with larger diameter, low profile tires. The Jetta handled like it was on rails, but it was also rougher, jarring, and with more road noise transmitted into the car.
Smaller diameter, higher profile snow tires are usually cheaper and easier to find as well, but that is likely not an issue for you in Texas. :wink

If you think you have problems with noises or rattles in your Altima now, larger wheels and lower profile tires will only make that worse. It may be the simplest and least expensive way to improve handling, but you might regret it. It would be easy enough to swap back to the standard wheels and tires if you didn't like the experience. Some have played with the suspension, but that is kind of hit or miss in my experience.

In my opinion, the Altima was designed as a comfortable family car, not a sports sedan. You could throw a lot of money at it and still not like the results. In the long run, you might just find that it would have been cheaper to buy the sports sedan in the first place.
Exactly, Nissan's sportiest Altima was the 2002-2006 models...the 3rd gen when they shocked the competition by being the 1st in its segment to have a V6 as an option. Now a V6 in this segment is common, and nothing really stands out now. Bland and blander. Nissan should have kept the Altima as a smaller sportier model as it was in the past, and allow the Maxima to lead the luxury way in the Nissan lineup. The lines are so blurred between the Maxima and Altima that is basically comes down to options....

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The Altima is the right size and the right comfort level for me. On my retirement income I cannot justify the price of the Maxima so if they downsized the Altima They would lose all of the buyers who feel like I do and I suspect that might be a sizeable number although most of them probably would not be on this forum..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Altima is a yacht cas it's built that way on purpose. I'm often under impression that I'm driving a Lexus :). Did you test-drove it? For our bumpy roads in NE the soft suspensions work just right. The new Sonata is even softer. I think the Sentra is more boxy, more basic and less powered car.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Drove Sentra the same route to and from work for a week. I felt Sentra has better chassis stiffener and suspension than a Yacht"Altima". The CVT is also responsive less droning more revving. That's more like Accord thingy.

Now I need some input of how I can make my Yacht a little more engaging to drive. I know....this is meant and build for straight line drive lol.. but I live in Texas where road(s) have turn(s)..:angel
A solid "B" post, but would've been a B+/A- if you had ended with "please advice".

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I also had the Sentra as a loaner... Doesn't even come close to the Altima ride. I couldn't wait to get my car back.

Not sure what you're talking about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Normally hi-end dealerships loan one step higher cars from what you own, to maybe atract you to a more pricey car so you'll buy the next time. Other dealerships will give you nothing, or whatever they have (on a lower end). I asked for Maxima, they had 3 but all were out on the road.
Well, this time the lower end (Sentra) came out more atractive :)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have had two Sentra loaners in the month I have had my Altima. I did not drive either of them very much, but I did find the seats to be more comfortable than the ones in my Accord and almost as comfortable as the Altima seats. The ride was again better than the Accord, but not as good as the Altima. My wife loved how much shorter the Sentra was as it gave her more room to get around it in the garage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts