The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the advantages and disadvantges of both? what do most people have? what brands are recomended? i seen a few on ebay that are cheap but i have never heard of the companies...any buy from there? thanks.

·
Chinese Foooooooooooddd!
705 Posts
injen, berk, AEM are some brands of intakes. i have an Injen CAI and love it. the disadvantage of having a CAI is that it's right in front of the front driver's side wheel, so some people are worried about sucking water into the engine. it's pretty hard to do unless you submerge your car past the sidesills. i would go injen just it is most common and most people have been happy with it.

·
Havin' Fun
614 Posts
I have the Jim Wolf Pop Charger (basically WAI) and like it. Works well. Doesn't make much noise at low RPM, but get on it and listen to it howl going over 4000RPM. I went this way for climate reasons (and based on Andy's recommendation at HPAuto), you don't get sub 30 Celsius weather in Van so the CAI may work for you. However, it can get chilly out there, and too much cold air is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
justkickin said:
I have the Jim Wolf Pop Charger (basically WAI) and like it. Works well. Doesn't make much noise at low RPM, but get on it and listen to it howl going over 4000RPM. I went this way for climate reasons (and based on Andy's recommendation at HPAuto), you don't get sub 30 Celsius weather in Van so the CAI may work for you. However, it can get chilly out there, and too much cold air is not a good thing.
How much was that Jim Wolf Pop Charger?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so most have cai....but still waht is the diff in performance? big or minimal? i know price is big diff

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DesiEGO said:
^The difference is WAI is Warm Air an CAI is Cold Air but besides that, the performance results are very much similar and so are the hp gains. ;)
so better off to get wai becasue of price differnce.... :bonk:

·
2005 3.5 SE Balck MT
177 Posts
I have a berktechnology WAI (version 2) wiht Apexi filter and it rocks. I live Indiana and it rains a ton as well as gets very cold int he winter so the WAI was the way to go for me. For the money a WAI is a great way to go, and I don't have to worry about puddles and such. I noticed a little increase in HP about 4000 RPM and up, but I lost a little torque in the lower end. I hope to get taht back once I get my Mossy exhaust. If you have any humid weather a CAI or WAI is gonna hurt your acceleration either way. But it still sounds BADASS no matter what its like outisde. That alone is worth the money.

·
Registered
101 Posts
'05 3.5 with Berk V2 here. I don't know about HP/TQ gains as the car feels the same to me. It's the killer sound that is, indeed, worth the $$$. It sounds really rowdy over 4000 RPM... really nice sound reflecting back at you when putting the smackdown on ricey Integs at the lights! :) I'm curious as to how a HiPo exhaust increase low end torque with an intake, and how the intake (alone) would cause lower torque in low rev range, as someone mentioned. Thnx!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Injen Cai, love it, if you are worried about puddles get a bypass valve and that will solve your problem.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
AEM CAI, i love it . sounds soooo sweet when you get on it . only thing i dont care for is that when u have aftermarket exhaust and CAi , the intake seems to drown out the exhaust . but i do like the F1 racing soud of the car .

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you have to take off the bumper to install the cai? i am worried about if anything happens that nissan will void my warranty...i want to be able to quickly take it off if i need to take it into the dealership...i would assume the wai short ram intake would be easier to take off?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put in an Injen CAI and loved the way it sounded and the performance gains i got but it killed my MAF sensor twice in a 3 month period. I took it off and sold it and put on a Berk Tech. WAI and haven't had a problem since. Just my .02, good luck with whatever you choose.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts