The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dudes,
I installed dp, removed res and crimped pipe, and removed res on stock CAI and replaced with midpipe.
Mid range power seems to have gained a lot but low end seemed to decrease. Any way to pick that low end back up a bit??

·
Administrator
4,412 Posts
Can you give a little more detail on your setup. What size is your exhause pipe? Still on stock mufflers??? Do you actually have a CAI filter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran 2.25" stainless from dp to stock Y pipe. Still have stock mufflers.

Added Berk midpipe in place of the stock res/silencer under hood. Added K&N filter but kept stock filter box and ram.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
rubyv6 said:
I ran 2.25" stainless from dp to stock Y pipe. Still have stock mufflers.

Added Berk midpipe in place of the stock res/silencer under hood. Added K&N filter but kept stock filter box and ram.
Remove the stock "ram" from the intake. It has little to no ramming affect at all. The hole that it leaves in the stock air box is quite large and is better suited to air flow when compared to the stock "ram". I have a Trueflow intake setup and it uses the stock air box also. I took out the "ram" and noticed some benefits from it. It seemed to have more pickup and I got better MPG by about 1.5 MPG. As far as losing low end from a catback I really doubt there is much lose at all. Most of the exhaust restriction is from the stock headers and cats, not in the piping behind the cats.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok - I looked for Trueflow and it didnt have anything for the Altima
Does the 'ram' come off easily ? what about the piece that extends downward from the stock airbox?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Take off both pieces. Both come off very easily. If you take the fender protector underneath the stock airbox and I think it is only one or two screws and the lower resonator wiggles and comes right off. The front scoop is simply the four plastic body panel pins and it pops right off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool - I will try that.

How often do you guys change plugs? Is it difficult?
Sometimes I get a bit of a lag and it feels like when a plug or plugs arent firing reaal good.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
rubyv6 said:
ok - I looked for Trueflow and it didnt have anything for the Altima
Does the 'ram' come off easily ? what about the piece that extends downward from the stock airbox?
The True Flow Part # is 70501. The resonator under the stock air box is easy to take off, ands allows for more flow. I'd imagine that if you covered the hole that the "ram" leaves and remove the lower resonator the system would act more like a CAI then a WAI.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
rubyv6 said:
Cool - I will try that.

How often do you guys change plugs? Is it difficult?
Sometimes I get a bit of a lag and it feels like when a plug or plugs arent firing reaal good.
From what I hear changing the rear plugs on the V6 is a royal pain in the ass. I've never tired it, but if you have bad plugs already there might be something else more serious wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn - I removed the 'ram' and lower resonator and it is a ton louder when you get on it - too loud and not a real nice loud.
WOuld the right next step be installing a high perf resonator in the exhaust before the Y??

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
changing the plugs was a little bit of a PIA, definitely the worst car I've ever had to change plugs. The upper intake plenum has to come off, and you have to unhook like 50 million harness's and vacuum hoses etc.

I have some lag on days over 75 degrees. Any time it gets over 85 I can tell the computer is pulling a TON of timing which of course means ALOT of power loss. During the winter the car pulls MUCH MUCH harder. and in the morning and late night the car runs much harder. during the summer days when its 85-90 with 93 octane the car lags alot. I've had race gas in my car left over from the track, and the car ran WAYYYYY harder, and I'm convinced its because the car detonates easily even on 93 octane Shell, BP, or Mobil gas. I'm actually about to start making my own DIY race gas. There are a few ways to do it safely to get 98-115 octane for cheap. Maybe $5-$8 extra per full tank of gas which should allow the car to run alot harder till the summer is over.

I'm also noticing this car suffers really bad from heatsoak under the hood. It wasn't like this when i had the front air dam thingy off, but now that i put it back on when I installed the berk intake everything under the hood is REALLY REALLY hot and it shouldn't be that way, not as hot as its been, like too hot to touch. In my 01 Mustang GT, everything was nice and cool but the engine. But the Berk midpipe is SIZZLIN
after driving even for a short time, i mean it burns you if you leave your hand or arm on it for much longer than 1-2 seconds, which means its heating the air up causing some really hot intake temps. I'm pulling that piece of crap off tomorrow. WIth that gone the gap cools the engine bay down alot. I've noticed that when I first take the car out and the engine is cool the car runs alot harder but after like 3 or 4 minutes the power just goes bit by bit as the under hood temps rise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts