The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
You gotta hack into it to be able to deface it.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
descartes said:
hacking > gaining access to a machine.
gaining access to a machine > gaining access to the files in it > hacking.

If you're not supposed to gain access to some files in a machine and you actively try to access them by other means, you're trying to hack into it that machine to access those files.

They accessed secured files in a server and changed some of them. That's hacking.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
then let's agree to disagree. :D

·
Banned
45 Posts
k. technically, by definition, you are correct; however, i'm doubting the person did any real damage to the machine, so it's not quite hacking in the literal sense of the word.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
Hacking has many definitions as you probably know, so the "literal sense" can be many things. And one of them does not entail doing damage to a machine.

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Originally posted by PsyKoh
You gotta hack into it to be able to deface it.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I, personally, know exactly what it takes to root many a boxen, deface many a domain and sexor many a slore.

you do not have to root/"hack/crack" a box to deface a domain.

there are so many scripts (mostly perl) to do everything for you. ever hear of a script kiddy?

im almost 100% sure this is what happened - there is a vulnerability in the forums that website used. the hacker group coded a script to search on google or some other search engine to search for domains using that forum script - once those domains are found (the ones that have that same forum script) it will make a nice list of them for the coder/hacker to deface. then the script kiddy will run his script and replace their index.html with his index.html. no hacking. no brute force.

it takes all of 5 minutes. tops.

it is not "hacking" or even "cracking."

god, this takes me back....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts