The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Ive been a lurker on the forums for some time, and its been very useful!

I bought an 06 Altima 2.5 with 58k miles on it last September. I love the car, its my first and favorite. Ive always kept it in good shape and so did the previous owner. No major repairs, just replaced the tires about 3000 miles ago, oil changes, filter changes etc.

Recently, Ive noticed a loud humming noise whenever I drive at highway speeds (50+). The sound seems to be coming from the engine area, but I cant be certain. The steering wheel and gas pedal vibrate at a very high frequency and you feel it once you take your foot off the gas or your hands off the pedal. It feels like you were holding onto something vibrating very fast. Anyone have any idea what it can be?

Its like a loud 'mmmmmmmmmm' that starts be noticable above 40 mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the tires have not been rotated. The problem started after my new set of tires. But, I have been already driving on my new tires for ~3000 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A flat spot on a tire could cause that sound.

Another suspect is your wheel bearings, have them checked especially if you only hear the sound at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The steering wheel and gas pedal vibrate at a very high frequency and you feel it once you take your foot off the gas or your hands off the pedal
Uh...I highly recommend pushing the gas pedal with your right foot when you drive...lol

Could be something as simple as balancing. I just had those same symptoms a week ago and the shop found that one tire was out by 1 ounce. They said it does make a difference. Have the shop that installed your tires re-check the balancing.

Mine was done for free since I take my car to the place I bought the tires to have them rotated every 10k km, as per warranty.

·
Riding Dirty
488 Posts
if its at over 40 mph its the wheel bearings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts