The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '93 GXE that I am currently in the process of buliding. I just aquired a new engine with 16k on it and my plans are to "juice it up alittle. The car has mild upgrades now, Eibach springs, Areo speed intake, freedom designs STB, And custom 2.5" cat-back w/ Aero speed muffler & 4' tip. If anyone has a parts list please reply. Also does anyone know the HP rating for a T3 running say 5psi?

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
use a t25 for that low of boost man. a t5 is enormous, I got a t03/04e turbo and that's big enough. a t5 at 5 psi will be a waste, you'll probably gain about 60hp~70hp if you're lucky running that low of boost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My badd fellas, kind of had fat fingers there I meant a T3 not 5 so thanks for not being so brutal. Again my badd dawg

·
:-)
1,239 Posts
t3/t4 hybrids are good, but cost a lot. You can very easily find a used T3 turbo, which is really good for 5 psi. It'll spool up at like idle (lol :))

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
turbos do not spool up on idle, there is not enough back pressure in your exhaust for it to so so, it will spool up at about 3000rpm, just like every other turbo.

·
boosted
397 Posts
That's not always the case. The VW 1.8T's get full boost before 2000rpm! I've even a swaped turbo civic lag until 4500rpm with a T3/T4. My buddy's 240sx gets the full 8psi of boost a 2500rpm, but that's with a bigger ball-bearing T04B-R. It all depends on the size on the engine and the turbo. Speaking from experience, a 1.6L DOHC honda would spool up to 6psi at 2500rpm with a T3, so the bigger KA should get full boost even quicker than that. A T3 would run out of steam well before 6000rpm though.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
your engine idles around 1k rpm, if that, nowhere near the backpressure for a turbo to spool up. Besides, your throttle position is nearly closed on idle, which makes it virtually impossible to spool up at idle. I run 9psi, and sometimes 12 when I wanna kick the crap outta people, I dont get to 12 psi till late 2nd gear.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
as for the vw, that runs on 5psi, I can spool up on that just by slightly revving my engine. If you want something with instantaneous spool up, get a supercharger.

·
boosted
397 Posts
I know it's impossible to get instant boost with a turbo. I based my statements on WOT dyno and strip tests from idle to redline. I know the VW doesn't spool up at idle, but at WOT from idle, you'll start to feel boost from as low as 1500rpm. Or course you'll have no boost until you really get on the gas and let it rev. The 1.8T has a really tiny turbo, so it spools very quickly but has to work hard to make 150hp. Know what I mean?

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
what you feel is the turbo spooling up (that zipping sound is the turbo spooling). but I know what you mean.

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh a t3 turbo runnin 12 psi how much oh a difference will it make in the quarter mile

·
Nympho
176 Posts
Chad said:
I know it's impossible to get instant boost with a turbo. I based my statements on WOT dyno and strip tests from idle to redline. I know the VW doesn't spool up at idle, but at WOT from idle, you'll start to feel boost from as low as 1500rpm. Or course you'll have no boost until you really get on the gas and let it rev. The 1.8T has a really tiny turbo, so it spools very quickly but has to work hard to make 150hp. Know what I mean?
not too hard ;p

considering its only around 5psi.
and i'm sure its not stressed out because people who chip there 1.8t's dont blow there turbo even allowing it to spool up to 15psi.

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
hey cthunder, did you get a ball-bearing upgrade (i.e. stage II) from fmax? If not, then that might be why its not spinning as fast as it should Late 2nd gear is pretty late. My friend's gsx gives 14psi of boost in late 1st gear.

·
boosted
397 Posts
NewAltima said:

not too hard ;p

considering its only around 5psi.
and i'm sure its not stressed out because people who chip there 1.8t's dont blow there turbo even allowing it to spool up to 15psi.
Stock 1.8t's need 12psi to make 150hp, and 14.7psi to make 180hp. That sounds like the turbo's working very hard to me.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
nope, they have a ceramic bearing upgrade, but that's a little expensive and pointless for my street useable hp. the stage II comes with an pgraded fuel pump, 550cc injectors and a mustang cobra mass air flow sensor, since ours goes tits up after 280-300 hp.

·
Nympho
176 Posts
Chad said:

Stock 1.8t's need 12psi to make 150hp, and 14.7psi to make 180hp. That sounds like the turbo's working very hard to me.
oops.. i could of sworn they dont reach double digits for psi stock.. maybe i read wrong. yet i do know the newer 1.8t's that run 180hp do infact hit 12psi or so.

well considering the same 1.8t minus the t.. is only around 100hp. so i do understand if it needs that much pressure.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
osama, I do have a ball bearing turbo, but still it is highly unlikely with the altima redline to play with 14psi. a gsr has a redline 1.5k further than we do even with the JWT ecu, he is able to get a better boost. but the downfall is that I would already be in second at the time that he is getting to 14psi, and also be at 14psi. Does he have a manual?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts