The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nissan altima 2009 continental standard tires are normally at 32-33 psi IIRC. Due to cold temperatures of 46, and currently 32 degrees I am getting low tire pressure warning. Is this normal?

My tires are all at 32 psi in warmer weather but I measured them before driving the other day and all of them were at around 27.5psi.

I just got the TPMS fixed on one tire and wondering if this is caused by cold weather or faulty TPMS fix.

I also don't want to inflate the tires more than recommended.

What is the safest thing to do?

Thanks.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
PV=nrt

Which basically says as the temperature (t) falls, for fixed volume (V), the pressure (P) must also drop (as n,r are constants).

So physics says, yeah, top up your tires when cold weather is here, and check again when it warm up again. If this was a freak weather event...don't worry about the TPMS light...I had issues on my other car triggering the warning light below -25'C last year...which happened like 3 times all winter so I left it alone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much dOugmac1. I have the Slime 40022 12-Volt Digital Tire Inflator and can easily add air to the tires. Should I pump up the tires to 32 psi in cold weather?

What happens if the weather gets warmer? Will the tires get overinflated due to temperature? I'm asking because we have had some strange weather patterns.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Thank you very much dOugmac1. I have the Slime 40022 12-Volt Digital Tire Inflator and can easily add air to the tires. Should I pump up the tires to 32 psi in cold weather?

What happens if the weather gets warmer? Will the tires get overinflated due to temperature? I'm asking because we have had some strange weather patterns.
Assuming they are triggering around 27 PSI, personally I would go to say 30psi on an average cold day temp for your area this time of year...that will stop the idiot light annoying you, but leave some headroom for warmer days--keeping in mind the 5psi rise you would get when going back to warmer temps.

Personally I prefer slightly softer tires for winter weather, less noise and more rubber in contact with the ground. YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts