The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't even get lower timing cover free. Upper cover, right engine mount, a/c compressor and bracket, idler pulley, crank pulley, all screws in front of cover, two in oil pan, two on rear side of engine by power steering pump. I must be missing some bolts somewhere but I can't see any. Any suggestions

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
it's near impossible to do it with the engine in the car. it puts the tranny mount in to much of a bind for me but some people can get it by just dropping the cross member and letting the engine hang.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Hey, odd that I just replaced my oil pump abotu 2 hours ago

Really the job isn't that hard, it's just time consuming...

I removed both the pass side mount as well as the bottom two mounts, and have the motor supported by a jack from underneath

Another suggestion...remove the powersteering pump from it's mount, and remove that mount as well...trust me it makes the taask easier!

Also, on the cover, remove the lil box that attaches to the top left side of the lower cover...there is a hose on the backside of it as well...remember to remove that hose...I also opted to switch the stock nissan crimp clamp with a traditional hose clamp as it's easier to put back on then...

Again, the job is fairly easy, in fact it's taken me now...6 hours to tear it all down and get the cover back bolted on to the block!

Once you get the cover unbolted, just lower your floorjack until the motor is pretty low...from there you should be able to angle the cover so the crank rides along the edge of the lil box on the inside cover and just turn it at the last second and pop!

Tidbit: According the Nissan, to swap out the entire motor is only 200 dollars more in labor fees...lol!

any questions just pm me or ask here!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I know it can be done because I've seen posts here. I'll remove the two bottom mounts. If I can get my hands in I'll pull the power steering pump also. The little box you refer to: is that held on by two small bolts ? Only thing left on the front of the engine is the power steering pump pulley. Maybe after I drop the engine enough I will be able to make sure there are not other bolts holding the lower cover on. Frustrating. I'll keep your ph# with me just in case I need more help tomorrow. Thanks

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
The oil pan has to be removed, the pickup will not alow the front cover to come off unless both oil pans are removed , also be sure ALL of the bolts are removed, there are some tricky hidden ones , even then it takes some prying to break the silicone seal !!

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
There are actually 3 bolts holding the lil box on the lower cover on the top left side...it has a hose going to someplace from it...

I found it easier to remove the box before you put it on, that way it doesnt' get in the way...

also, it's almost a must to remove that power steering pump, even if you just take the two bolts outa the block that hold the mount on...it makes the job 10x easier

remember, you may be able to yank it out, but when you go to put it back in, make a few practice runs sort to speak, because if you get silicone all over the cover and the block, and then scrape the cover to make it fit, you'll surely rub the silicone off as well, which will cause a leak no doubt!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Shawn. Those two little nuts at the back of the aluminum pan just about did me in. As soon as I removed that little cover plate I saw them and wondered how I was going to remove them. Pan came off pretty easily then, only a little pry at one spot with a lug that looks like it was made for that purpose.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lower Timing Cover

Thanks to Chuck34grbro, AltimaAce and Shawn for their tips and advice. Had to remove front and rear engine supports and cross member along with right side engine support in addition to the alternator brackets, a/c compressor and bracket (hang the compress on a piece of wire), the power steering pump and brackets, idler pulley w/ bracket. All this to be able to drop the engine far enough to remove the power steering pump pulley and access the lower timing cover. Remove both oil pans, as Shawn pointed out, you can't remove the cover with the oil pickup still attached. Requires lot of patience, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 27mm sockets/wrenches, good axle stands, good garage jack.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lower Timing cover. Has to be removed to replace the $5.00 oil seal between the timing cover and the block. This particular seal fails fairly frequently from what I have read on the forum, Nissan parts guy told me the seal had been redesigned 4 or 5 times. I don't know failure rates on 2nd gens or later. I got tired of adding 1 - 2 qts a ever month or so. Had been leaking since about June of '97 at about the same rate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts