The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was another thread covering all this, but it was 5 or so pages, and I'm sure most people don't want to scan through it all.

Joehotrod checked and confirmed that 95+ Maximas do in fact have the same 5 speeds as 1st and 2nd gen Altimas:

94 Altima 5 speed: RS5F50A or V.

95 Maxima 5 speed: RS5F50A or V.

Cattman www.cattman.com worked with Quaife to have an LSD unit built for the 95+ Maximas. I emailed Cattman, and they are willing to try and work with us to verify if we could use the unit.

"Quaife is willing to do the measurements at no charge to determine if it is inter-changeable for the Altima. What we need is a stock altima differential. If you have one available we can make specific shipping arrangements and do the test."

They are located in AZ, but I'm waiting to hear if they want a full car or just the tranny/diff.

Also, Phantom Grip www.phantomgrip.com makes a unit for the Maxima, and I emailed them to see if they knew if the unit would fit an Altima or not, and to see if they'd be willing to check it out for us.

I for one would love to have an LSD....The Quaife lists for $1300, so I doubt anyone here would buy one. The Phantom grip lists for $299. I would buy a Phantom Grip today if I knew it fit, but I have no interest in tearing open my tranny any time soon...unelss I happened across a great deal on a lightweight flywheel.

So, just an FYI. I'll update this thread if and when I hear back from Cattman and Phantom Grip.

Feel free to post here if you have any interest in either unit.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
I thought you had lsd:confused:

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Actually after I asked I went home. So no I didn't know.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
:bigok:

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
at the price offered, the phantom does look tempting. But for the same price you can get a used LSD tranny that could be less than 9yrs old, with warranty. The axles are extra of course. Tearing into the tranny and finding that you've actually killed several bearings is not a fun project.

the last time I asked phantom, they want the diff only, since the kit will be fitted into the diff's cage. I just backed off since I don't have a spare tranny nor car available within the period they need to try it out.

·
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would much rather install a Phantom Grip in my current tranny. I know it's been well cared for, and always had clean fluid. A used tranny is a toss up. Why is it out of a car and for sale? 5,000 rpm clutch drops finally killed the car? Was it in a horrible wreck that could have messed the internals?

And reading the recent news that kettnerc had with getting a used LSD tranny...where it cost him a grand, and wasn't even an LSD unit...The Phantom Grip seems like the winner, hands down.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
true..life is a gamble, at either ends.

anyway, we still got no confirmation whether or not the alty shared the same input shaft with the max, rite? I'm really itching for the 6 speed man.

·
Registered
389 Posts
So why is the phantom only 299.. Is Quaife just extremly overpriced or is it really four times better

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
^the phantom IMO is just a clutch unit. While the Quaife uses constant meshing gears inside the tranny. Do a search on google about LSD varieties, that should help you a bit. Again, I'm too lazy to pick up the book.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
I have a donor auto tranny from my 93 GLE if makes a difference. Might take me a lil time to get it out since I have no tools at my house but I don't see why I wouldn't let people use it to find out. Let me know.

·
There is no substitute.
2,032 Posts
if i ever did a 5speed conversion (if my auto ever crapped out for some reason) would I still be able to keep my same lsd unit or are the lsd's for auto and manual different?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts