The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a manual transaxle with Limited Slip Differential, and have found several places on car-part.com advertising "locking" transaxles from 95, 96 and 97 Altimas. My car is a non-abs, non-lsd MT 96 GXE.

Several of my searches on LSD's have said it was only an option on 93 and 94 altimas.

I don't want to pay extra for a "locking" transaxle that is identical to a "non-locking", and also don't want to order the LSD halfshaft and seal if the 95+ transaxles are all the same.

Thanks.

additional keywords for future searches: transmission LSD1 (for LSD* searches)

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
robmarch,

I was under the same impression as peterson until a few months ago. There are plenty of people on this board who have 95, 96, and 97 trannies with LSD (although they probably don't talk much). I myself have a 96 AT GXE at the moment and I'm putting in a 97 MT GXE w/ LSD in less than a month. What you saw on car-part is correct. If you don't believe me, call up nissan USA, talk to a tech or something.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there a serial number indicator on the transaxle that identifies it as an LSD unit? I'd like to have them give me the serial number so that I'm sure. I don't want to pay extra and freight for something I can't see in person.

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
I drive a 97 GXE 5spd with LSD...There is a number that indicates if it is or not...Run a search on 1st gen LSD numbers, there was a thread on this not to long ago...I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I guess I'm going to take the plunge here. I'm guessing that there's no warranty for junkyard parts, at least for freight both ways, so I hope I get a good tranny.

·
4,020 Posts
Yes, I have heard the V and A thing as well, but I have an A at the end of my trannie code, yet, when I replaced my CV shafts, I had to order LSD shafts. The non-LSD shafts wouldn't fit and even looked different then the ones on my car. I called Nissan both the local tech and 1-800 Nissan and they told me "there was no way to look up the LSD by the tranny number". I was so freaking confused. And it's been too snowy and all test out the tire spin test to check my tread length.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need a way to verify that this is an LSD tranny before I drop the extra cash.

Part number for manual transaxles are RS5F50A and RS5F50V. So far, it looks like the V is the part number for the LSD, though some have seen LSD axles fit in "A" transaxles.

·
candy is dandy.
3,932 Posts
my 96 origionally came with non lsd then i put a lsd off a 94 in it and now im stuck with the non lsd version :( and im almost positive that the lsd tranny is good for +.4 in the quarter.

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
JLewis... What tire spin test? I want to know for sure whether or not my Altima has LSD.

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
So if both of them spin, LSD. What is the difference between that and lifting the front wheels off the ground, spinning the tires, putting pressure on one of them and the other one then starting to spin?

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
I just ran out to my garage and am happy to report that my 5spd tranny (going in in under a month) has LSD. I stuck my finger in one side and pushed it around and the other side spun. Just to double check, the other side spins in reverse, right? Please? Or is something really screwed up?

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
If I remember correctly, when my car was off the ground, the wheels were both moving in the same direction and if you pressed against one of them, the other picked up and moved faster.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts