The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had problems with my front rotors or hubs for a couple of years now, and the vibration is bad enough that if the shop uses a standard torque on the lug nuts, they vibrate loose. I've had two or three times now that they have done this... I'm talking about 1/8 inch loose...scary.

Anyone else have this problem? Any past threads on it? I can't find any.

It started when my shop replaced the brake pads with a good quality replacement part. That caused alot of squealing and then so much vibration I could not drive at 75mph. Then they replaced the rotor on one side with a replacement part, and it was good for a while, then vibration again. After replacing all parts back to Nissan parts, it got better, with very little vibration. Then a while later it came back on the one side, and they decided to replace the left hub. Slowly after that it straightened out to almost no vibration again. Then recently, they rotated my tires, and two weeks later my lug nuts are loose again.

My shop only has equipment to turn the rotors off of the car, and I've heard that some shops can turn them on the car. Do you think that will do the trick?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the last time they checked the alignment, they said the front was on, and the back was off a little and the adjustments in the back were frozen, and needed to be replaced if I wanted to fix it.

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
make sure they are torquing your lugs to i think it's like 30 or so.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Torque the lugs higher than that... It's like 82 or something like that. It says in the haynes manual, but I don't have that offhand.

82 or 86 sticks in my mind though.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
Wheels are torqued to 85ftlbs on the U13.
If you do use thread lock (not suggested), use the blue compound. Anything more and I'm affraid you won't be able to take it off.
Check if tires were balanced.
Check if wheels are straight.
Check that nothing wedging the hub to wheel mating surface.
If you're using washers type hub spacer, then that could be the problem as well.

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
What ashura said...except we torq all standard cars at 90 foot pounds.

Damn ben...why don't you come work for us at the tire shop! :D lol

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Or you might check to see if they have the right size lugs. I'll get the exact size tomorrow.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Ummmm, get your spacers on. Your lugs aren't lining up right with the wheel causing the wheel to be off center from the hub which will cause a vibration as well as the lug becoming loose beacuse they weren't lined up right in the first place. I am guessing that you have aftermarket rims on the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have nissan stock alloy rims that were an upgrade when the car was new, so do they have those spacers or whatever? Unless my mechanic took something off, they should be stock.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You know you have to retorque lug nuts a few days later. They will usually back out a little bit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't know that. I've never heard of anyone doing that. Do you mean you have to do that on all cars or just this one because of this problem?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not just lugs or car stuff you need to re-tighten.

Many many things need a retightening after a few days to a month later. When things get used, and have movement involved, it's understandable that they will get loose after a little bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts