The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Yankmy Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I joined the MAF club last night. It really sux.

But the point of this thread is, what have people done after having the MAF replaced. Do you put back on your aftermarket intake and just hope it doesn't happen again, or are you guys staying stock?

Are they replacing the MAF with the same crappy one or do they replace it with a better one?

Oh by the way I had a dry filter, and the theory that it is breaking from a large burst of air frying the sensor has to be correct, because it happened to me when I gunned it in first gear to about 6,000 rpms then BAM, engine light came on and car went into safe mode. :(

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
oh no. I thought a dry filter was the answer. Now im afraid to get any aftermarket intake.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
i actually wanted to get the same intake you had. frankencar + apexi. dammit.

·
Barkless Dog
1,933 Posts
I have an auto, and have not had a problem with a JWT/FRankencar.

I wonder if the people frying the sensor are all manuals?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Mine fried and the temp outside was about -20 deg. I did have a K&N but that I don't think that was the problem because I cleaned and oiled it about 4 months ago. I did put the paper element back on when I went for service. Mine failed when I starteeed it up in the morning and then went to fail safe mode. Perhaps the rush of air you experienced and the very cold temps that I experienced supports perhaps that high flows or very dense air can cause it to fail.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Sorry to hear that guy! Unfortunately....welcome to the club. The two theories behind the MAF sensors is the inability to handle the enhanced air flow or vibrations to the MAF. I think everyone who has had their MAF die was WOT or had done so shortly before the MAF died (I would be the latter of the two). I have since put the Frankencar back on, but I installed it differently this time (new couplers, different coupler/intake placement, and I custom fabbed a mounting bracket this time). Click on my siggy pick to see how if you have not already. I am not stomping on it as much as I did before, but the performance gains far outway my fears of frying another MAF. I drove around with the "poor-mans" WAI for a little over a week after my MAF died (I was waiting for my new couplers to come in). I was dying to put the Frankencar back on!! Yes, they replace the MAF with the same POS. OH.....I have an automatic.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
MAF cost is about $50.

I usually clean it before replacment it. Sometimes all it needs is a wet paper towel wipe and it's back to normal.

·
Yankmy Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xtrema said:
MAF cost is about $50.

I usually clean it before replacment it. Sometimes all it needs is a wet paper towel wipe and it's back to normal.

???? I don't think you can buy the MAF sensor w/out the case and they want 300 someodd bucks for it. You talk about it like your replacing it everytime you change your oil.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
**my'02altima** said:
???? I don't think you can buy the MAF sensor w/out the case and they want 300 someodd bucks for it. You talk about it like your replacing it everytime you change your oil.
You would be correct. I looked into this when mine died, and a new one is $390 (best price I could find). Unfortunately, there is not an aftermarket solution yet......if there will ever be one.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
You would be correct. I looked into this when mine died, and a new one is $390 (best price I could find). Unfortunately, there is not an aftermarket solution yet......if there will ever be one.
Also, you will need to reset your ECU after you put the new
one on, so it's not as easy as changing your oil.

After reading about all these latest waves of MAF failures
I'm inclined to believe that the problem lies in the MAF sensors
inability to read the increased voltage that an aftermarket intake
will provide at WOT.

If it was compatible, I'd like to upgrade to the 350z's MAF
and sensor and see what happens. Checking the 350z boards, this doesn't seem to be a problem as it does with the Alty/Max's.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Check out the parts book, I believe the MAF that nissan uses is the same for all the cars. When they did mine they went to another dealer to get the part and all the cars had the same part number for it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
sht dawg said:
oh no. I thought a dry filter was the answer. Now im afraid to get any aftermarket intake.
My MAF went out at 1800 miles and the idiot at the dealership told me that the problem was the oil from the K&N. I took it to another dealership (With the oem filter) and after the Nissan Technician replaced the "defective" MAF he said that a bunch of them where defective. Suffice it to say that the oil is not the culprit on this MAF dilemma. Some dealership will blame the oil from the K&N filter voiding your warranty so you can pay for it which I think is a scam on the dealership part since they get a double kick back from you & Nissan. The cost with parts & labor totaling a whopping $849. Needless to say that there are some honest people out there but finding those are hard to come by. The Nissan Tech who told me about the defective MAF is one of those honest people. After I got my car, the first thing I did was put my K&N back on! Now that I have an Injen Racing CAI and yes it comes with an oiled filter from Injen, I have no problems! Altima 3.5 SE Rules!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
At least the Max's have a TSB to fix thier bad MAF's.
All we have is the warranty.
What happens after 36k?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
:eek: $390!?

This is the mass airflow sensor right? Right at the intake?

I change mine on my old Civic twice. $100 each time including labour.

The one on our Altima costs $390? Heck, I'm not screwing with any intake mods then.

·
Yankmy Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Xtrema said:
:eek: $390!?

This is the mass airflow sensor right? Right at the intake?

I change mine on my old Civic twice. $100 each time including labour.

The one on our Altima costs $390? Heck, I'm not screwing with any intake mods then.
That' w/out labor, I know most of us can change this ourselves but we can't reset the ECU. So with labor I believe it would be about 650. I'm not sure if just disconecting your battery for 24 hrs is enough.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
**my'02altima** said:
That' w/out labor, I know most of us can change this ourselves but we can't reset the ECU. So with labor I believe it would be about 650. I'm not sure if just disconecting your battery for 24 hrs is enough.
No it is not enough.......I asked and they said that the error codes have to be removed from the computer and it has to be fully reset.

·
Yankmy Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well Nissan just called me and they said that they have never encountered this before and that the ECU came back with the MAF error so they replaced the MAF and they were like it didn't fix the car. No she is telling me that it freaked them out, then they realized that they had to reset the ECU and everything is alright. Over at max.org they were saying that when they got there MAF's replaced that Nissan would change the ECU settings to incoporate more air, to try to stop this from happening. I was hoping this would be the case with me but from there response I am sure it is not.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
**my'02altima** said:
Well Nissan just called me and they said that they have never encountered this before and that the ECU came back with the MAF error so they replaced the MAF and they were like it didn't fix the car. No she is telling me that it freaked them out, then they realized that they had to reset the ECU and everything is alright. Over at max.org they were saying that when they got there MAF's replaced that Nissan would change the ECU settings to incoporate more air, to try to stop this from happening. I was hoping this would be the case with me but from there response I am sure it is not.
What you forgot to mention was that the Max's are being replaced by updated units, which require reprograming of the
ECU to allow for better Oxygen mapping. Unfortunately for us, Nissan is just putting the same old
POS MAF unit that burned out in the first place...grrrrr!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts