The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna get some new muffs installed, and my exhaust guy has magnaflows or flowmasters. I need some advice. Which ones should I go with. I don't mind loud exhaust, just so it doesn't sound like a dam civic. And i would like some more performance too. Does anyone have any input?
Thanks
Ryan

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts
I may have a vid posted by the end of today with my flowmaster delta 40 w/ magnaflow resonator...I really like the flowmaster...but I think you have to go with a bigger resonator if you don't want it to drone inside the car.

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts
By bigger resonator...I was referring to a bigger magnaflow one. I think the power loss, if any, between say a 17" magnaflow resonator and a 30" magnaflow resonator is very small. The stock resonator must be pretty restrictive if there is around 6-8 hp to be gained from removing that and the crimped picece of pipe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the quick input guys. Maybe I will try and get a little more input on the magnaflow vs. flowmaster. I am more of a muscle car guy, so by habbit, I would go flowmaster. But I already have installed the CAI, and I have just ordered my UDP, and the grounding kit. So once I get all that put on, I will give my 2 cents on those items. I will post more pics in my registry too as new items come along. Thanks again
Ryan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and 1 more thing, I am also looking for the test pipe, or down pipe some people are calling it. I saw one for 250$. that seems high. i definitely want to get that along with my new muffs. Please let me know if they are cheaper anywhere esle. Too bad no one is having any group sales on them. That is the way to go...I will eventually get headers too, but they are too much of a wallet buster!!!

·
The Ricenator
324 Posts
Well, I will get headers some day soon.... so you can buy my custom enterprise downpipe off me! :D

Actually, it will be a while still, so don't wait up for me.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
The only thing about flowmasters I don't like is that they are still a reverse flow muffler. While Flowmasters are not as restrictive as the stock units, it is still more restrictive than a straight though design like the Magnaflow. Also with the 3.5 it would be hard to have a "anrgy can of bees" sounding exhaust like the common civic. The "angry can of bees" sound has more to due with the small displacement engine more than the choice of exhaust setup.

·
Registered
899 Posts
rhinoman98 said:
Thanks for all the quick input guys. Maybe I will try and get a little more input on the magnaflow vs. flowmaster. I am more of a muscle car guy, so by habbit, I would go flowmaster. But I already have installed the CAI, and I have just ordered my UDP, and the grounding kit. So once I get all that put on, I will give my 2 cents on those items. I will post more pics in my registry too as new items come along. Thanks again
Ryan

I am also a musclecar guy. Our F-body club tested mufflers extensively, with an airflow tool, and the Flowmaster muffler for our car actually tested lower than stock. The Magnaflow, on the other hand, tested significantly better than stock.

Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of a nice 5.0 Stang with Flowmasters. By my experience has been that they are not very good flowing mufflers. My vote goes to Magnaflow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...that pretty much answers all my questions about exhaust. It looks like I am gonna go witht the magnaflows. Thanks a lot for the input. Just one last question.....how is the sound? Thanks for the help.
P.s. The Camaro SS is one the the best muscle cars ever!

Ryan

·
Registered
899 Posts
I like the Magnaflow sound. It has a nice aggressive growl without being too intrusive in the cabin. I still prefer the Flowmaster sound, at least on V-8's, but not at the expense of performance.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts