The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at some major engine repairs for my '06 3.5 with 167,000 miles on it. Being a girl and I didnt realize my car was burning oil and now I have the horrendous knocking engine noise that i have been told is serious. I really leaning towards repairing because I LOOOOVE the car and LOOOOVE no note even better. I guess i was just looking for any tips or comments on the validity of this repair, pitfalls of choosing a shop. i am in dallas, so if anyone knows of a good inexpensive shop i could use it would be great. Right now the car is parked so I am definately not driving ti.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Chances are you not only need a new engine, but new precats as well--though in Texas I think you can gut those suckers and run them empty. You might consider a good used engine, but there's no guarantee it hasn't suffered the same death-by-precat-failure-induced-oil-starvation-that-doesn't-turn-on-the-oil-warning-light (DBPFIOSTDTOTOWL for short). Expect around $4K min for a rebuild/replace job, you could probably roll the dice on a used engine swap at $2-3K.

You cannot keep driving it like it is..you will soon throw something inside the engine out the side of it with rather traumatic results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding. I am so over my head in this and purchasing a car is jacking up my financial goals. I have gotten the question is the engine light on 45 times and of course it has not been on yet. So i am also assuming this is a common problem. Can you briefly explain the precat issue or can i just google it. One friend is telling me to do an engine swap. i was thinking 3k for a rebuild. Why are you saying swap over rebuild. And thank you in advance for your response and patience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts