The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Member"
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, last week my gf's brother was driving my car and he doesnt know i have a cai and here in wpb there were floods so he's driving in the floods and my car stalls and turns off. finally after a while he gets it to turn on an drive it to my house.

three days ago i had a cast on my right foot so i wasnt driving the car last week until two days ago. anyways i driving the car on fri and the car starts stalling and the rpms go nuts going from 500 to 3000. so i stopped at a gas station and i try seeing whats wrong and i know it was from the water getting into the engine from the cai. i try to drive it home but it wouldnt turn on after a while so the next day i get a tow truck and left it at nissan yesterday. i told the guy what happened and he said it might have hydrolocked and i might need a new engine.

other than that what could be the problem. i've thought that i might need a new head gasket and spark plugs cuz i looked at the wires and i saw some humidity on them where they connect to the spark plugs.

the guy at nissan said that i should try and get my insurance to pay for it since it was caused from water, but the thing was they might say it was my fault from having the cai so at the nissan dealership i changed it from a cai to a wai. do you guys think i might get away with making my insurance pay for it.

i think it's not that bad where i might need a new engine cuz it runs but after a while black smoke comes out of the muffler and it starts to stall......what do you guys think??

need some opinions!!! thanks

anthony btw...it's a 96.

·
Trinispeed
106 Posts
Well I work for Allstate. In most instances this will be covered. It is a Comprehensive claim. Check you papers and see what your deductible is. Give your agent a call and let him know and find out what he thinks. You shouldn't have to pay all that money for a new engine, let you insurance pay for it.
Peace........

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
you should put the stock intake back in, alot of places won't insure or cover you under warranty if you have aftermarket parts .

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
just a question, with a PR CAI how much water do you need to be in before it sucks it up? what about snow too? I live in rochester where we get a crapload of snow and I don't want to deal with my car sucking up whatever the plows miss....

·
Registered
17 Posts
damn...sorry dude...thats somethin i been worried about for a long time....luckly i can just get an iceman cai for my car...and whenever weather is a problem...it turns itself into a wai in a matter of minutes :D

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
Take the entire intake system apart and clean and dry everything. Have you even tried that? MAF, throttle body, everything.

·
projected member
340 Posts
if it hydro-locked, it would've been screwed as soon as it sucked in water, not 3 days later. black smoke, bad idle, poss. the water eventually screwed up the air flow meter

·
"Member"
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what i forgot to mention was while i was changing it from a cai to a wai i noticed water spots on the adapter and down the piping. so i'm positive it sucked water up. i just dont know which problem it is. i guess i will find out today...wish me luck that it's not that bad....my engine only had 63 thousand miles for a 96. i'm just hoping that it's something simple.

thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts