The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was out picking up an alarm for my Alty before I head off to college I come back out of the store and notice that there is oil splashed up everywhere on the back of the car you could see the oil got spit up out if the tailpipe. Well I knew there was somthing majorly wrong with the engine but I drove the car to my freinds shop where I was gonna get the alarm put in, it wasent even amile from the store to the shop but just before I got to the shop the oil light came on but would only stay on when the car was at a stoplight and not while the car was moving I pull into the garage at the shop trun the car off, pop the hood and check the oil, the dipstick was complety dry of any oil. I did not start the car at all after this and after the alarm was put in me and my freind rolled it out into parking lot.

Now my question is whats wrong with the car? I know I had a slight crack in crankcase seal and it was getting worse but I kept an eye on the oil level and added more when it was needed, I was planning on getting the seal fixed next week.
My Dad who has worked on cars his whole life said that the head gasket blew and thats what caused the oil to come out thru the exhaust. I dont think I hurt the engine as when I parked it it was idleing/runnig fine no knock or anything and the temp gage had not rasie beyond normal level when I shut her down. So is it the head gasket or somthing else?.
P.S. The Alty was towed to my mechnic today they start working on it on Tuesday.

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
probably worth it to save you a headache and get a new motor. oil to come out of the exhaust is not good. you would burn it up if piston rings or valve seal were bad. but it came completely out of you exhaust. get a new motor for cheap and don't bother changing the headgasket unless the labor is free. but you may find other problems relating to why your headgasket blew or whatever malfunctioned. what about your coolant because most spots of your headgasket you will lose your coolant not all of your oil.

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
you did not say if your car overheated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could be as simple as a valve seal, dont give up on the motor yet, most of the time when a head gasket blows you will get pressure in your radiator b/c the most common place for failure is between the cylinder and the water jacket. My guess would be valve stem seals but let your mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I doubt the head gasket blew if you never heard anything. If the engine is burned up you won't hear anything. That's what happened when I drove a Sentra SE-R one time, the radiator leaked out and the engine was burnt up. I even got all the way to where I was going without any problems, cut the car off and went inside. When I came back out and tried to crank it it turned over but did not start. I was like oh that's bad, but then I looked up and the car was spewing white smoke in all directions.

Well I won't say more b/c I posted in the Off Topic section under "bad SE-R experience"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Head Gasket?

Sorry for sounding stupid in the following, but hey I am a girl. My problem: My 1995.5 automatic Altima blew a head gasket, melted the radiator, and cracked the head about 5 years ago. I had it repaired for about 2K. It has done well until a couple weeks ago: Drove about 200 miles, started to take exit off interstate and car blew a puff of smoke from muffler, started missing and went dead. Rolled to the side of the ramp. Tried to restart but it wouldn't. Put in water and 1 quart oil. Turned over 3 times but died shortly after each time. Level of water in radiator seemed to have gone down when I checked it again. My overflow (or whatever) to the left of the radiator,where you put the coolant stayed the same. Had it hauled home.
It will not turn over. No warning lights had come on before or after it quit and gauge did not show as running hot. Has not turned over again but is charging and is trying. Water level seems to lower when I tried to start it again but none leaks out to see beneath car. Oil looks clean and seems to keep it's level, of course I can not check it running or at normal temps. Can this be anything but head gasket and cracked head again? Wouldn't I have had some warning? If it is head gasket and won't turn over, does it mean cracked head too? Had an oil leak about 8 months ago and gasket or valve seal(?) was replaced by friend and leak stopped. No other problems till this. I cant afford to have a lot of parts replaced for nothing or have it towed different places for expensive diagnostics. At it's age, can't put another head and gasket. Have to make a decision to sale as is, if that's the problem and keep hoofing it till I can buy something else. Dont want to give it away if it's not gasket. Anything else it could be? and if not, what should I ask for it, as is? Any advice welcome. Thanks, Rebecca

·
white on rice
1,565 Posts
could have gotten oil into the head, which may have fouled up ur spark plugs and that would be a good reason of why it wont turn over - no spark no fire

·
Registered
4 Posts
De ja Vue...

Ive had my Altima for almost 2 years, and it had ran fine until about the 3rd month i had it, just driving down the road and the transmission dropped, i was like wtf?? then got a new tranny, bout a month later, it dropped...? i was like what the hell..? got everything fixed, driving to work one day, radiator busts and blew a head gasket, it never overheated or anything, soo i just went ahead and put in a new engine....cause Altimas are so freaking hard to change to the headgasket and shit in..

·
2k engine swap done.
22 Posts
This really sounds like some really bad F***ing luck with the alty. Motor swap sounds like the best bet. I picked up a 2000 motor with less than 10k. for $400 and cost me bout $900 for install. My old motor had 167k on it and only had oil residue and the timing chain rattle b4 i swapped engines. If you can look for a 2nd gen. motor w/ low miles.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^Really, where, when? I drive through Dover sometimes if I feel like taking the long way home from class or when I go to Autozone to get cleaning supplies for my car.

·
No Way is The Way -B. Lee
1,079 Posts
rebbmoss said:
Sorry for sounding stupid in the following, but hey I am a girl. My problem: My 1995.5 automatic Altima blew a head gasket, melted the radiator, and cracked the head about 5 years ago. I had it repaired for about 2K. It has done well until a couple weeks ago: Drove about 200 miles, started to take exit off interstate and car blew a puff of smoke from muffler, started missing and went dead. Rolled to the side of the ramp. Tried to restart but it wouldn't. Put in water and 1 quart oil. Turned over 3 times but died shortly after each time. Level of water in radiator seemed to have gone down when I checked it again. My overflow (or whatever) to the left of the radiator,where you put the coolant stayed the same. Had it hauled home.
It will not turn over. No warning lights had come on before or after it quit and gauge did not show as running hot. Has not turned over again but is charging and is trying. Water level seems to lower when I tried to start it again but none leaks out to see beneath car. Oil looks clean and seems to keep it's level, of course I can not check it running or at normal temps. Can this be anything but head gasket and cracked head again? Wouldn't I have had some warning? If it is head gasket and won't turn over, does it mean cracked head too? Had an oil leak about 8 months ago and gasket or valve seal(?) was replaced by friend and leak stopped. No other problems till this. I cant afford to have a lot of parts replaced for nothing or have it towed different places for expensive diagnostics. At it's age, can't put another head and gasket. Have to make a decision to sale as is, if that's the problem and keep hoofing it till I can buy something else. Dont want to give it away if it's not gasket. Anything else it could be? and if not, what should I ask for it, as is? Any advice welcome. Thanks, Rebecca

check the spark plugs, this happened to a grand prix that had to get towed to the shop, coolant leaked inside the manifolds to allow the engine to turn over, engine oil to be fine, but caused a huge drop in compression and flooding to no longer allow the car to operate

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Altimasport* said:
^Really, where, when? I drive through Dover sometimes if I feel like taking the long way home from class or when I go to Autozone to get cleaning supplies for my car.
lol, i think he is talking about the other altimasport, the one that started the thread. wonder y it says he was banned

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
zadeluca said:
lol, i think he is talking about the other altimasport, the one that started the thread. wonder y it says he was banned
I am the other Altimasport, I got banned for the NWS avatar you see, and then I came back on under the same name only with the "*" after my sn.

·
because hondas suck!!
2,178 Posts
Altimasport said:
Okay so I was out picking up an alarm for my Alty before I head off to college I come back out of the store and notice that there is oil splashed up everywhere on the back of the car you could see the oil got spit up out if the tailpipe. Well I knew there was somthing majorly wrong with the engine but I drove the car to my freinds shop where I was gonna get the alarm put in, it wasent even amile from the store to the shop but just before I got to the shop the oil light came on but would only stay on when the car was at a stoplight and not while the car was moving I pull into the garage at the shop trun the car off, pop the hood and check the oil, the dipstick was complety dry of any oil. I did not start the car at all after this and after the alarm was put in me and my freind rolled it out into parking lot.

Now my question is whats wrong with the car? I know I had a slight crack in crankcase seal and it was getting worse but I kept an eye on the oil level and added more when it was needed, I was planning on getting the seal fixed next week.
My Dad who has worked on cars his whole life said that the head gasket blew and thats what caused the oil to come out thru the exhaust. I dont think I hurt the engine as when I parked it it was idleing/runnig fine no knock or anything and the temp gage had not rasie beyond normal level when I shut her down. So is it the head gasket or somthing else?.
P.S. The Alty was towed to my mechnic today they start working on it on Tuesday.
don't even bother trying to fix that engine!!! do what a lot of members including me have done;
swap in a low milage 2000-2001 engine. they can be had for less than $500 (i got mine w/ 15k for $360)
all you have to do is to use your car's intake and exhaust manifolds, distributor, cap and rotors and pulleys. you'll be set for less money than pulling done present engine and fixing.

use this search engine www.car-parts.com
for vehicle year, type in 2000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts