The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i get a mandrel bent piping or just normal piping with a single tip dtm muffler. which one is better and doesn't sound too loud. and i'm thinkin about normal because it costs about $30 as opposed to $110. and is there any difference in performance?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
alti97 said:
what's the difference between the two pipings?
Mandrel bends will give you even air flow through the corners, where as "crush" bends restrict airflow through the corners.

A mandrel bender costs mega bucks and will not be found at
your corner muffler shop.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
SE-Rious said:
A mandrel bender costs mega bucks and will not be found at
your corner muffler shop.
It can be found at muffler shops. And it doesn't cost MEGA bucks...just 75-100 bucks more.... At least here in Socal

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
It can be found at muffler shops. And it doesn't cost MEGA bucks...just 75-100 bucks more.... At least here in Socal
Ehh, in the section you decided to quote me
on, I was writting about the Mandrel Bender
itself, not the pipes...:rolleyes:

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
I hear mandrel isnt necessary either, its like a 1hp loss if you dont get it, I guess for piping that most of us are scraping every where I rather just get crushed bent piping

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
if i saw some dyno proof that it was just 1 hp loss, then maybe i'd consider the cheap piping
The muffler shop owner that did my catback system said mandrel bends won't make a difference for the occasional street racer, it's more for professional racing cars where that 1-2 h.p. can make a difference.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My guess is that it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. I got mandrel bends on my Camaro, cause I wanted every little bit. But on cars with obvious other restrictions in the exhaust, I doesn't make sense to spend the money to me.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
The biggest difference that it makes is in sound....

Cause I've heard many KA24 Altimas with headers and crush bent exhaust systems, and they sound like absolute crap. Like your typical Honda weed whacker, gas mower, or leaf blower. But mated to a mandrel bent catback, and it's a whole different story.

You can ask AlienAlt about that. He has a Stillen header, and went from a crush bent system with a Apexi Dunk to a mandrel bent Magnaflow system.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
So difference is:

Mandrel: Better sound, slight performance gain
Crushed: Crappy sound and not for super performance such as a 10 second camaro :p

·
Retired
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
flarearrow said:
READ....
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/july02/revengeofthenerds2.php
I'm not sure if this is faq'd, but it should be. As a matter of fact that entire site should be recommended reading for any newbies (read it myself and answered many questions). Good info and explainations.

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
I have crush, and my muffler doesn't "sound like crap". I have a test pipe, 2 1/4 crush back piping, magnaflow muffler. Not a ricer sound, but nice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i didnt read all those links that were posted but mandrel basically means that if u try to roll a ball that is nearly the diameter of the piping, thru the piping, it will make it all the way thru. with crush bends, the ball would get stuck on the turn. since it nozzles at the turn, exhaust velocity goes up but pressure goes down then it diffuses again after the turn so the air becomes very turbulent. therefore the exhaust doesnt escape smoothly. as for it only being 1 or 2 hp, that may be true for some cars but since people were talking about "professional" racers; professional racers arent driving cars with under 200hp. for an engine that produces substantial power, exhaust flow is very important. hasnt anyone seen catbacks for camaros and corvettes that advertise 20hp gain. well usually those numbers are fake but ive seen it with my own eyes. its true. headers and a catback can give some of those new chevy small blocks some incredible power gains (thanks to the emissions people).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts