The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vodaickk
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what it would take to convert an automatic transmission to a 5 speed manual? Other than the transmission, mounts, etc., around how much would it be be the switch? Both time and money, would the cost be worth it?

·
never take it to the shop
2,202 Posts
It is not as hard as you think to do the mechanical side of the swap. I have taken my transmission out my car 2 times. To remove the everything would only take me about 5-6hrs with no lift. The cheapest you can do is about $5-600 transmission (altima or max same transhousing), you can use the flywheel off the same car just get it resurfaced $50-100, new clutch $250-500 (its up to you. ECU and associated wiring, clutch cables $131, master cyl $65, tranny mount (should be still connected to tranny already), clutch pedal assembly and clutch switch etc... you can get out of the same vehicle as the transmission. I am sure you may need to replace both axels. You may be looking at like $2000+ which is still cheaper than an automatic transmission rebuild. If you know what your doing swapping a 5-speed in the altima is a whole lot easier than other cars I have done. There are soooo many altimas in the junkyard the used parts are cheap as hell.

·
Meet My Beautiful Nicole
301 Posts
I really wouldn't mind doing it for a project if I had the time and money, honestly.

·
Meet My Beautiful Nicole
301 Posts
It is not as hard as you think to do the mechanical side of the swap. I have taken my transmission out my car 2 times. To remove the everything would only take me about 5-6hrs with no lift. The cheapest you can do is about $5-600 transmission (altima or max same transhousing), you can use the flywheel off the same car just get it resurfaced $50-100, new clutch $250-500 (its up to you. ECU and associated wiring, clutch cables $131, master cyl $65, tranny mount (should be still connected to tranny already), clutch pedal assembly and clutch switch etc... you can get out of the same vehicle as the transmission. I am sure you may need to replace both axels. You may be looking at like $2000+ which is still cheaper than an automatic transmission rebuild. If you know what your doing swapping a 5-speed in the altima is a whole lot easier than other cars I have done. There are soooo many altimas in the junkyard the used parts are cheap as hell.
You would need to get a new ECU to do this swap? So how would a qr25de do this swap?

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
there is a guy, maybe two, that has done that conversion. maybe they will chime in soon!
I'm here. :D

Like mentioned above:
Step 1: Sell your car
Step 2: Buy a manual

Lol. I did it, came out on top with my loans/etc. And I've never been happier.

·
Nismo Whore
2,781 Posts
um plus if you are doing the conversion, don't you have to cut through the fire wall to put in the clutch pedal?

·
Nismo Whore
2,781 Posts
for the qr25de, wouldn't it be cool to swap the transmission with with 6-speed from the sentra se-r spec v?

·
Meet My Beautiful Nicole
301 Posts
for the qr25de, wouldn't it be cool to swap the transmission with with 6-speed from the sentra se-r spec v?
Yeah that would be insane! But my only issue is ECU. How do I make my ECU compatable with a MT?

NEW PROJECT!

·
never take it to the shop
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
there is a guy named RED LION on theses forums he is swaping a VQ35DE into a 2nd gen altima using the specV HLSD trans ....as well as building the engine...search for his build it is HIGHLY detailed but im sure its very diffcult

·
Meet My Beautiful Nicole
301 Posts
But do I swap out for a specv ECU if i use the 6speed?

·
HIGH ALTITUDE
814 Posts
I did the swap for a qr.... The motor mounts for the driver side have to be cut off the unibody frame and has to be drilled and weld in nuts to secure the trans mount to the frame (pain in the ass) Right now I have a 5spd from a 03... I am searching for a
spec-v 6spd trans with the HLSD. But it cost me about $2000 for all the parts to convert it including a motor (I got another engine to build one up in the meantime) The only problem I had was the 5spd ecu did not want to start the car so I used the auto ecu with a push button start.

·
Meet My Beautiful Nicole
301 Posts
OMG, I really don't have time to do that ^^^^^^

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I have a 2005 altima can I take a transmission from a 2007 and will it still fit in the 2005?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts