The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok there's already a great write up on how to best launch an auto, but what's your best technique fora manual (ie rpm?, dump or feather clutch?).

especially like to hear from the 3.5 guys, but any general tips greatly appreciated.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
youre s'posed to be in that gray area of slipping the tires... kinda hard to explain, i read it once in car and driver. enough power to pull off the line while borderline spinning the tires... does that make sense?

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
I usually try not to launch too hard and spin out of first.If I am trying to race,I usually only have to do about a 1500-2000K rpm drop.Due to the Altimas tq (at least 2nd gen),high drops shouldnt be neccesary to get you a good launch off the line(i.e. 3K to 4K rpm drops).I usually win most races at the light due to my jump without spinning and what-not.

The 3.5 has more power and tq than the older Altimas so you shouldnt have to drop 1st too high in the RPM band.Feel and experience are the best ways to learn how to run.:)

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
launching in a manual will vary from car to car and from driver to driver. There's WAY too many variables with a manual to follow others techniques.

on the street, I rev to about 2.5-3000 and slip the clutch.
at the track on streets, I rev to 3-3500 and slip a lil faster
track and slicks, rev to 4500-5000 and dump that BITCH!!!!

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
in an auto..
on the street you want to go up to about 2800-3000
on the track on street tires you want to go up to about 3000 and the off the brake then gas...if you jump on the gas with out coming off the brake you'll get wheel spin

·
614 Posts
RyanD said:

on the street, I rev to about 2.5-3000 and slip the clutch.
at the track on streets, I rev to 3-3500 and slip a lil faster
track and slicks, rev to 4500-5000 and dump that BITCH!!!!
..thats around how i do it

·
Red Sleeper
5,340 Posts
practice makes perfect launches.....usually around 3000 gives me a good launch.....although low revs if the road is slick...everybody launch's different so experiment until you find the best combo for yourself.. :D

94_se

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
Sucio said:
in an auto..
on the street you want to go up to about 2800-3000
on the track on street tires you want to go up to about 3000 and the off the brake then gas...if you jump on the gas with out coming off the brake you'll get wheel spin
oh i forgot..after to come off the brake and hard on the gas you have to press the red button..please dont forget to press the red button..

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
juice what juice my red button is my horn :squint: heheh

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
I drop the biatch at 4000 - 4500 rpm since I know my ACT 6 puck can hold... :p too bad I only have some shitty tires on... so.. spinning is not an option...

·
Registered
256 Posts
flame me all you want, but ive never done a proper launch in a manual, and im confused whether i leave it in neutral, bring my revs up to (say 1500 rpm), clutch in put it in gear, and then accelerate, or just leave it in gear, hold the clutch down, bring the revs up, let go of the clutch then accel. thx for your co-operation.

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
put the gear into 1st, hold the clutch down, and rev as hard as you can :p (no, keep it into your desired rpm >>> mine is 3500 - 4500 rpm). then when light turns green, release the clutch (I dump mine, since the 6 puck can hold and GRAB :) )

in the movie TF&TF, I think the way they launch their car is wrong.... but I may be wrong since I don't have
1. a "10 's" eclipse with direct port (20 lb bottle x 2) NOS system...
2. a SHOW-CAR RX-7 with too much dead weight (>18 rims)
3. an integra with momo seats
4. an integra with PS in it...

Hope it helps....

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
no prob... enjoy the burnouts!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Launching

Not trying to be a smart ass or something but actually it's a Civic With a PS in it i've seen that movie way too many times

1 - 20 of 23 Posts