The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my Altima in manual mode on the highway because I like being able to control the "gears" to pass better. I occasionally drive it in manual mode in the city as well for fun. Is this hurting the CVT in any way or can I keep doing it? Sounds like a dumb question but I would like to know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Vikk218,

After a tour of Iraq, my son was a mechanic mainly on Honda while in college. He would comment how the CVT in Honda and Nissan was a weak link. On his Facebook recently a friend was complaining to him about his Nissan SUV that blew the CVT out to the tune of $2,600 in repairs at 170k miles. His motor head friends all replied how that was average for a Nissan, especially for those who try to drive it like a 5 speed which being 25, is what he did.

I know Nissan uses a steel corded belt and it's reinforced, but my brain keeps thinking about how I would blow out steel reinforced belts pretty regularly on my snowmobile because I drove it like a Ferrari with skis. They also use a CVT type drive system.

So, does it do damage? My guess is that would depend on the RPMs you are at when shifting and how much torque you hit it with when it shifts. My feelings is that the answer is "Yes"

Personally, I have used my manual mode 1 time. My Altima, as of this, morning, has 235k miles. The trans shifts perfectly (knock on wood).

Tip: ONLY use the Nissan OEM oil when you change the trans fluid or have it changed. DO NOT take it to one of those fast lube places for fluid change. They may have CVT fluid, but it's not the same. Spend the $240 that Nissan charges and save $2,000+ in repairs. Personally, I just bought the fluid and did it myself but if you can't or don't want to do it yourself, that is what my local dealer quoted.

I'll be interested in seeing other replies to your post. Drive safe!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I probably won't use manual mode ever on my Altima. I love the car and want it to last, like 2008coupe's. 235k is awesome ! mine is about to hit 40k. Just had Nissan change the fluid. Final cost for that was $256

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive my Altima in manual mode on the highway because I like being able to control the "gears" to pass better. I occasionally drive it in manual mode in the city as well for fun. Is this hurting the CVT in any way or can I keep doing it? Sounds like a dumb question but I would like to know.
What year do you have? Earlier models would go straight to manual when you slide the shifter over, but later ones would change to sport mode without giving manual shifting ratios first. Being in sport auto is actually faster then sport manual.

As for wear, there is no way to really know the effect, but anytime you move the shifter and its changing something it has to be wearing something. The amount is unknown though.

Personally I keep it in normal drive, and if I need to speed up I move it in to sport without shifting it, then move back to drive after reaching the speed I was going for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! It's an 08 Altima 2.5 S. I personally DO drive it like a 5 speed sometimes, taking it up to redline from a stoplight for fun sometimes. I know that's wear on any transmission. I also drive it pretty hard on the highway, dropping two "gears" to pass taking it up to about 4000-4500 rpm each time. I am 200 miles away from 100,000 miles right now. I will try to be more gentle. Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! It's an 08 Altima 2.5 S. I personally DO drive it like a 5 speed sometimes, taking it up to redline from a stoplight for fun sometimes. I know that's wear on any transmission. I also drive it pretty hard on the highway, dropping two "gears" to pass taking it up to about 4000-4500 rpm each time. I am 200 miles away from 100,000 miles right now. I will try to be more gentle. Thanks again!
The time it takes to move the shifter over and down twice is probably longer then just mashing the gas in D.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
I don't use it. Trans is garbage and I would bet my life that it will shorten tranny live. Buy a real car with a real 5 or 6 M transmission. Personally, I feel the car is faster and more responsive in full auto mode....(Which aint sayin much)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually click the shifter over into manual before getting on the highway and just leave it like that and shift accordingly on the highway. Yes; I know the CVT is a horrible transmission (especially in it's first generation) and I thought it might shorten tranny life, which I definitely don't need as I need this car to last me through college before I flip it out for a used V6 Altima or a used BMW 335.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts