The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
what are the PROS and CONS of having manual over auto and auto over manual?? Which would u prefer??
thanx

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like manual...but I drive in traffic so I got my altima auto

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Manual:
Pros:

Cheaper, better gas mileage, have the thrill of shifting. I find it better at passing- drop down a gear and away you go. If the battery dies, you can push start it.
Cons:
Hassle in traffic, also can be a pain if you have a drink in your hand and have to shift suddenly. Kinda embarrasing if you stall when trying to peel out at a light. If you injure your leg, its a pain in the ass to drive (I injured my left ankle and it was hell to press down on the clutch). Lower general resale value.

Auto:
Pro:

Easiest in Traffic. Just drive and go. Anyone can drive an Auto. Don't have to worry about shifting. Good for using that free hand on the Significant Other... :) Higher Resale value
Cons:
More expensive, slightly lower gas mileage (like 1-2MPH). If you've driven a Manual before-its hard to get over the fact you can't shift anymore (your left foot feels left out). Auto Tranny fluid changes... Can't push start with a dead battery.

Feel free to add...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
If you have manual, your car is less likely to be stolen. Seriously.

There was this car jacking story awhile back. The carjacker didn't know how to drive stick, had the lady teach him how, and she had him unknowingly drive up front to a police precinct :D

Most theives don't know how to drive stick.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thom said:
Manual Is More Fun :)
If you can drive like they do in car ads it's fun, but when you're commuting into NYC every day, it gets kind of old. I love a stick, but you got to live somewhere where you can have fun with it.

·
OLD??? Who's OLD??? MEEE?
350 Posts
kenshi said:

If you can drive like they do in car ads it's fun, but when you're commuting into NYC every day, it gets kind of old. I love a stick, but you got to live somewhere where you can have fun with it.

I drive to NYC everyday from Jersey and I love it. Even with the Jersey traffic to NYC doesn't bother me. You will get used to it within time. I drive my sister's GS300 sometimes and when i'm driving it, alot of times i feel like getting back into my car with a 5spd. Don't get me wrong...... I love the GS300, it's a sweet car, VERY SWEET!!!!!, but i wish i they would make it in a 5spd. the automatic doesn't give me enough control of the road. get what i mean.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would say a stick is much better. If you are the type that likes to grab the stick and shift like a mad man on curves and at the light, it is best. The way I drive I have to have a stick.

Like everyone would say, it can be annoying, you can't: eat, drink, talk on the phone unless you have a hands-free. On a hard day, you're just tired and don't feel like driving, stick is a no no. It is also the worst thing to have when it comes to trading in. It is cheaper to buy and harder to trade.

I am seriously considering an automatic, if and when I do get the 2002. It is a personal thing, but if you get a chance, try them out for a while b4 you buy one. Got a friend with a stick, try it for a couple of days-see if you can get with it on a reg, daily basis.

Good luck.

·
ItalianStallion
722 Posts
before i got a stick people told me i would hate it in traffic, but now that i have one and drive in at least semi heavy traffic every day i still love it. it gives me somthun to do. but im easily ammused

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Not to mention automatic cars are slower, not by much, but still slower because of the slipage...

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
SuprStyl said:
Not to mention automatic cars are slower, not by much, but still slower because of the slipage...
but you don't have to worry about grinding your gears or missing a shift...

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
victor said:

but you don't have to worry about grinding your gears or missing a shift...
you dont have to worry about grinding gears if you know how to drive a M/T. If you get good with a m/t you will never go back to an auto, sure i grind gears (like some times it doesnt want to go into reverse and i have to double clutch it on a truck). I dont even really notice shifting anymore after 5 years of a five speed. I do notice that my mother drives an automatic, and so does my grandma, and just about any WOMAN, get it?? That is why they dont sell m/t mini vans, but they sell the mustang cobra SVTs in only M/Ts...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been driving a manual since the day I got my license, I can't go back...in traffic I hardly notice it, but when I accel (and downshift) I feel like I have so much more control

I can no longer drive an automatic, I have no control over what I'm doing....

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
SuprStyl said:

you dont have to worry about grinding gears if you know how to drive a M/T. If you get good with a m/t you will never go back to an auto, sure i grind gears (like some times it doesnt want to go into reverse and i have to double clutch it on a truck). I dont even really notice shifting anymore after 5 years of a five speed. I do notice that my mother drives an automatic, and so does my grandma, and just about any WOMAN, get it?? That is why they dont sell m/t mini vans, but they sell the mustang cobra SVTs in only M/Ts...
I disagree... in 9 yrs driving stick every so often I would grind a gear or even stall trying to burn out... everyone does it time to time and saying you don't is a bullshit faced lie. I like the stick but I chose an Auto because I wanted the wife to drive it because this was going to be our larger car thus the main family transporter when we had kids...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Abc187 said:
I've been driving a manual since the day I got my license, I can't go back...in traffic I hardly notice it, but when I accel (and downshift) I feel like I have so much more control

I can no longer drive an automatic, I have no control over what I'm doing....
I agree 100%. I actually prefer my 5-spd even in bumper-to-bumper, stop and go traffic. The clutch is so light in the Alty that it's no effort whatsoever. Plus I don't have to constantly keep my foot on the brake when I'm sitting still in traffic or at a light.

You have to change auto tranny fluids more often than a manual, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about replacing a clutch.

Let your driving style/preferences make the decision for you. If you enjoy sporty driving that involves you in the experience, get a stick. If driving is just a means for you to get from point A to point B, get an auto.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts