The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having way too much fun searching for tranny, transaxle, transmission,etc.

Does anyone know roughly how much a new, used, or rebuilt tranny for a 96 Manual is? LSD or no LSD. I probalby need the axles also, either way.

And, how tough is it to replace, or how much labor to replace? I have access to air tools and a lift. The most complicated repair I've done is replacing struts, though.

My driver and passenger side transaxle seals have been leaking, even after being replaced, and I'm pretty sure the internals have been compromised by running with low fluid.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

·
projected member
919 Posts
you can take it out and the lift and air tools make it easier. then take it somewhere to have it rebuilt, like me. im at passport nissan in alexandria

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
if your tranny is already LSD, i would def keep and rebuild it...

trust me i have experience in alfa which has shocking boxes, what the point spending money replacing it, if u gunna run into the same troubles....

if yours isnt LSD, it may be worthwhile paying a few $$ for lw km example cos nissan boxes are generally very good and over-engineered.... so a low km one (wrecked car perhaps) should last...

cheers

joe

ps; sorry i cant do anything with price, i'm aussie...

·
Registered
123 Posts
well .. THe gearbox i have always used in my turbocharged application as been the original gearboxs .... I will say 1st gear and 2nd ... you have no trouble with at all .. 3rd gear and 4th gear are the weakness i have only had trouble with those 2 gears my option is to make a straight vut but i won't do that until really it is a common occurance . To give you and idea turbocharged for 4 years ... went through one gearbox ...
so .. get a lsd box low mileae and it'll last you ages ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just replaced mine rescently. A new brand new non-LSD unit from the dealer was like $2200.00 (ouch). I didn't even bother pricing an LSD unit. I searched for some time for a used LSD unit and came up dry. I ended up getting a used non-LSD from a '98 GXE with 68,000 on it for $500.00 . Good luck with you search

Sink

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Most of them come with warranty. Mine for instance was a 25k mile tranny and came with a 1yr, 12k warranty. Rebuilds only carry a 6 month warranty from what I've seen.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
questions:

are the LSD and non-LSD boxes directly swappable? i.e. Would a dealer install an LSD tranny in a non-LSD car?

What is a good place to look for these used transaxles in the Mid atlantic area, and how much does it cost to ship them?

Thanks, I just may end up replacing the transaxle.

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
Sinkhole said:
I didn't even bother pricing an LSD unit. I searched for some time for a used LSD unit and came up dry.
Did you try www.car-part.com? They have a couple listings and I got an LSD unit from a 97 with only 32k miles on it for just under a grand. I went through a parts locator service and not car-part.com though. I would have gone through that site if i had known about it before hand.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on car-part.com, is "locking differential" LSD? just curious. It's an option on GXE, but not SE.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the tranny just an unbolt, remove, replace, rebolt, or is it a big complicated align and shim deal? I have the chilton's manual, access to a lift, etc. Is this relatively painless for me to do myself, or is this a major pain?

Sorry, the chilton manual really only has which bolts to remove when and which supports to remove, not much on replacing the transaxle.

Any pics or tips?

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts