The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
They are pretty weak though.

Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. I wish i could change them, because now that i have l.e.d's in my back seat up front seems a bit dark.

Registered
I agree. I wish i could change them, because now that i have l.e.d's in my back seat up front seems a bit dark.
You can change them.

Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok kool, so whats the procedure for removing the old l.e.d bulbs? And are the bulbs by any chance the same size as the bulbs in the back seat?

Registered

We'll make it real easy, here is the post:

I recently upgraded various lights throughout the car, and after upgrading the back seat map lights, the front LED's look yellow and dim. We can't have that, so I've upgraded to 3 Watt Cree LEDs from DDM!(168/194/921/T10 3 Watt Cree LED)

First I remove the center console as described here:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2013-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/332151-overhead-console.html

Next remove the two screws holding the Map Light assembly to the console and remove the module. Next pop loose the snaps all the way around the back and remove the cover revealing the circuit board.

Carefully cut the plastic "bubble" edges off the clear plastic holding the stock LED board on with precision cutters, be sure to leave the center part of the shaft so it can be reattached when needed.

Use a solder gun to remove the old LED circuit board, the black wire will be used, the red I insulated with heat shrink tubing incase I should ever want to reverse the modification.

Unbend the leads of one of the new CREE LED bulbs, pry off the base (I used the same cutters with a little twist) and remove the base to reduce the size of the bulb.

Position the new CREE LED so that it's circle and LED line up perfectly with the hole and attach with a little HIGH TEMP hot glue - allow it to set before you glue the rest of it down so nothing moves. Return the lens to the assembly and I just used HIGH TEMP hot glue to hold the shafts coming through the hole. I didn't want to melt them should I ever want to restore the factory LED's. There is still enough plastic to melt and hold the original LED boards on.

Test to see which lead off the LED is positive/negative with a 12V source, connect the black wire to the negative, and a new wire to the positive side. The new wire will attach to the center side of the resistor feeding the red wire as in the photos. I used heat shrink tubing to cover the leads and solder points.

Now is a good time to test your work, if all is well, do the same on the other side. Reassemble and you're done! Her are some comparison photos, Left is old LED, right is new CREE LED, the photos do not do it justice, it's much, much brighter and very white.

Here is my collection of photos: Altima Speaker Install Photos by Westly197 | Photobucket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts