The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Kitt Shicker
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody here into martial arts? im serioulsy thinking about getting into it bc i think it would be a good way of getting in shape while at the same time clearing the mind. i was thinking of maybe kickboxing but i think i would probably have to quit smoking or cut down dramatically. should i quit and get into it or should i keep on burning like a chimney?

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Yea I used to take Tae-Kwon-Do as well. Got all the way up to a red belt when I decided to quit. It was too easy to achieve rank here. It's too sissified. I'm now teaching myself Jeet Kun Do.

·
TB-3
1,496 Posts
I took karate for some time. But if you really wanna be good at it, you need to dedicate few hours a day to practicing. Basically you review katas, repeat them for a few times and then just parctice your punches and blocks for hours. True, it gives your higher self esteem and u just feel better about yourself, but for a student as myself, i just don't have time....

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Karate and TKD is booty if you ask me. That traditional crap doesn't work anymore. Square shoulders when punching...wtf. Go for something more worthwhile that will actually help you defend yourself.

·
TB-3
1,496 Posts
RisqEaltima80 said:
Karate and TKD is booty if you ask me. That traditional crap doesn't work anymore. Square shoulders when punching...wtf. Go for something more worthwhile that will actually help you defend yourself.
I disagree, i karate we had to do a lot of sparing, and i feel i can defent myself if someone will attack me!

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
You can call me biased but I think karate is a lot more effective in actual combat situations than TKD. The closer the roots of the style of karate to the original Okinawan style (Uechi a.k.a. OkiKuKai style and GoJyuRyu comes to mind) the more effective it is in real life combat.

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
I'd rather take Bruce Lee's style. He has a good philosophy when it comes to fighting. I take it to heart. When you fight...you want little damage done to you. With Bruce Lee's style *which takes multiple styles into one*, you can take advantage of other styles that are based on one form...if you can understand what i'm trying to say. And plus...I fight dirty. You better wear a cup and a face mask. :D

·
WheeEEEEEeeEEeEe!!!!!!!
550 Posts
I've heard that Aikido is like the calculus of martial arts—incredibly useful but also incredibly difficult to master.

Personally, I'm looking at Krav Maga for self-defense. It's an Israeli fighting art that is recommended for military personnel, law enforcement officers, and UFC fighters. It also teaches you how to fight from the ground should you get knocked down.

As for TKD, I think it's more of a mental thing. It'll teach you to stay cool in stressful situations, but, as a fighting style, it's not very useful.

·
Kitt Shicker
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the good info guys. im gonna check out some places around town and talk to the people there see what they suggest and see if they offer any of the styles y'all mentioned. i also want to learn the philosophy behind the fighting style.

i used to be into mountain biking when i lived back in west TX, and into tennis and raquetball when i moved down here. but i need something more now. thanks again. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts