The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alt v.s. maxima

i'm sure you guys don't wanna hear about an altima ahead of a maxima, so let me jus tell ya the truth instead. first of all, the only thing i have done to my 94 gxe (150,000) is like fill it w/ 89 octane and drop in a k&n, so my alty is slooow. ok, so my buddy is talkin trash and 'cause he jus got a 98 no mods maxima gxe (around 25,000 miles) and i wanted to see just how it could compare to mine. and just to think that he looked at me like are you serious? lol! i gotta say somethin at this point, i am tired of everyone sayin "maximas have a v-6 vs. altima 4 cyl, so they are like ruler over everything kinda crap" this is the kinda crap i am tired of hearing.:cool:
yes, it was faster, but that particular model was NOTHING to braaaag about, trust me. we are at a rolling stop on a two lane 65 mph at night and we floored at the same time. luckily, my auto trans downshifted before we got to 30 and i couldn't believe that he couldn't get a nose on me till like 50 then slowly his back door came even with my front bumper at 75! yes, i lost, so what? i bet he was disappointed. ok, this is why i think i won, i had 1/4 tank of gas, a/c was off , no passengers. he had 2 girls and most probably had the a/c draining his potential and maybe had a full tank. i know someone is gonna ask, so i will answer it now, yes he WAS really gunning it. air in louisiana is more humid which means you get like around a half second faster 1/4 in cali or something like that. my friend has a g-tach dyno and i haven't put it in my car yet but i bet my alt is doin every bit of performance from factory that road n track claims in dec 92.

maybe this will be runnin on the long side, but i beat a 92 or 93 eclipse yesterday. i saw this dark tinted red car w/ rims in back of me at a light. he really pushes his car up a hill to pass me 'cause i guess my 25mph is too slow (he was really trying to break a world record for acceleration or something). here we go, same story as above, tranny kicks down to 1st and that was all she wrote till about 45, not to mention that he was on my back bumper in an instant. made him probably #@$% cause a "4 door" beat his "sports car". to really appreciate this situation, i gotta mention that it was up a slight incline and i didn't know the pervert was trying to show off until he was no longer in my mirror but instead i am looking over my left shoulder at his rear wheel, so you know he had the jump waaaay befor i did. i don't know if it was a 5 spd but i don't care, i had a/c and a full tank. by the way, i couldn't tell if it was an guy or a girl, or whoever was drivin on account of the tint. anyway, my experience leads me to believe that is wasn't just an old lady cause this driver acted like he was having a testosterone overload or somethin, but don't worry i calmed em down. (for the dum dums, i think it is safe to assume that this guy didn't have turbo or anything)

oh yeah, i hate to say this but don't try to pair up w/ a ford focus unless you have somekind of mods. i learned the hard way, it is just a lighter, sporty car that ford did a good job on the engine.

jacob
jcn

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
Why do I get deja vu when I read posts like this. Anyway...

I had a '96 Altima SE 5-spd and a '96 Maxima GXE auto (before the two 2000's that we have now). Seat-of-the-pants feeling told me that my Altima would not hang with the Maxima. But I got a chance to try it out once from a standing stop (wife in the Maxima, and she's no racer!). She still trounced me, and I'm a good driver I think. Now, from a rolling stop, I could probably take the Maxima, but that's because I have a 5-spd Altima and I can have it right where I need it for maximum power when we take off (flooring an automatic does not do this).

So I'm not necessarily calling BS, but if your friend knew anything about driving an automatic Maxima, finding the 2nd-gear sweet spot (rolling or standing stop) and feathering the throttle then you wouldn't have stood a chance. I know from experience.

·
1320 In 12 With A Bed.
176 Posts
Just wail 'til the '02 SVT Focus starts to pollute the streets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts