The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maxima V6 190HP vs Alty 4 150HP?

Is a V6 Max with 160 hp that much faster than our 1st gen Altys with 150 hp? I know where a nice 92 SE Maxima is but I've never driven one so I come here to the ones who know. Thanks

·
A-arm brace man
87 Posts
It is quite a bit heavier, I used to run head to head with my friends 190hp 1992 se maxima before I had any mods. We both had 5spds too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
He's right, besides if it helps, a consumer guide book on the 92-94 190hp Max was recorded w/ a 10.5 0-60 time!! But again, that's an auto w/ a sorry Nissan transmission, a 5 spd and the driver and cond of the car could make a slight difference, anything's possible.

·
A-arm brace man
87 Posts
SexMachine844 said:
my mom used to have a 90 maxima se with the 160 hp motor and it would smoke a stock altima without a doubt
First of all, if it was an SE it had 190hp, If it only had 160 it wasn't an SE.

Second of all the 160hp maxima was slow.

The power to wieght ratio of the 160hp maxima will already tell you it couldn't beat an altima, and My friend couldn't even beat my stock altima with his 190hp max!!

With the mods I have now that gen maxima doest have a chance if it is stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Who is talking like they know everything, my mom had the damn car and u are telling me that i am wrong about how much horsepower it had, c'mon, if u are gonna talk like u know everything get it right, the 90 se had a 160 horse motor it wasn't till a couple of years later that they put the 190hp in the se's and she had the car for like a billion years and i have a hooked up altima and i still think the maxima was faster, those v6's may not have much horsepower but they are incredibly smooth motors and are very quick. For whoever said bring it, learn how to read, i said my mom used to have one, if i can find one, esp a manual, i will race anybody with a stock altima on here, aaaaaand power to weight ratio=doodoo, doesn't mean a thing. the v6 has better horsepower and torque curves. our 4 cyls only have horsepower in a certain range.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yep it was only a few years they made the 190hp motor for the 3rd gens. If I'm not mistaken 93-94 were the only 3rd gen avail. for the 190hp VE motor. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey 98se, I really like your ride. How does it feel with the kyb's and springs compared to stock? I have a 94 gxe 5 speed with napa struts and the ride is waaay to bumpy! Advise anyone? Thanks

·
Shift_for yourself
182 Posts
U should easily beat the 160hp Max, I raced one back in like 97 (it was a GXE) and I easily pulled on it but of course not by much from a light and yes he wanted to race. (I was all stock at the time) and I'm pretty sure the Max was too.

As far as the 190 hp Max that didn't start until late 93 or early 94 for the last model year of the SE before the 95 style w/190 in all models. Those are pretty quick though, especially with a stick.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
The 190hp VQ30DE went into the Max SE's starting in '92 (and then into all models starting with the 3rd gens, as KV stated).

As far as which one of the two subject cars is faster, as Peterson, he has both (although his Alty is modded).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Creature said:
The 190hp VQ30DE went into the Max SE's starting in '92 (and then into all models starting with the 3rd gens, as KV stated).

As far as which one of the two subject cars is faster, as Peterson, he has both (although his Alty is modded).
Damn...of all people, I thought u'd get the info right.

89-94 GXE: All had 160hp VG engine and auto tranny
89-91 SE: All had 160hp VG engine w/choice of 5sp or auto
92-94 SE: All had 190hp VE engine w/choice of 5sp or auto

I'm driving my bro's 93 SE 5sp right now...feels like a mid or high 15s car. GF's wrecked 93 Altima GXE 5sp was a 16.3 or 16.1. I'm sure a well kept VE 5sp will run mid 15s. Modded ones are low 15s...all motor mods might hit 14s.

I dunno about the GXEs...my bro had a 91 Max GXE and it plain out sucked worse than gf's Altima.

Jae

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
ThurzNite said:
Damn...of all people, I thought u'd get the info right.

92-94 SE: All had 190hp VE engine w/choice of 5sp or auto
That's what I said. :confused:

Edit: oh I see what you're pointing out (I think) ... I typed VQ30DE out of habit ... I meant the VE30DE. What I was actually trying to state though was that 92-94 SE's had 190hp but the GXE & GLE had 160hp (VG30E).

·
Shadetree Mechanic
2,228 Posts
Why do we do this to ourselves? Just go out and race one for christs sake! I thought we said we weren't going to post this shit in here anymore! ACTUAL Racing stories or save it for someone who cares.:flipbird:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.