The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****ed up idle

ever since i put on my exhaust ive had problems with my throttle. i adjusted my throttle cable and i was ok for a little while then my mechanic decided to ****with it and i can't get it right again. i know there isa screw i can turn that will adjust my throttle but i don't no where it is. anyone know where that is or any oter way i can fix my throttle.:angry2:

·
Banned
2,285 Posts
I assume you have a catback? Right? If not, thats one hell of a muffler you got on there. Its just the ECU not reading it properly. All of a sudden, the engine is able to breathe much better so it doesnt know how to respond to its new surroundings. It will imrove with time. IF you feel the need not to wait, then just reset your ECU. Everything will be jake.

·
Dad
316 Posts
I don't think you want to adjust your throttle anyway - there is an idle air control valve if resetting the ecu doesn't work. do a search, SHAWN has posted the procedure before.

·
11,384 Posts
Carnegee79 said:
I assume you have a catback? Right? If not, thats one hell of a muffler you got on there. Its just the ECU not reading it properly. All of a sudden, the engine is able to breathe much better so it doesnt know how to respond to its new surroundings. It will imrove with time. IF you feel the need not to wait, then just reset your ECU. Everything will be jake.

So how long does it take for that exhaust to become familiar to its surroundings?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Is your "Four Whacker" really "Furry"? If so, shave it.
Otherwise, I guess you meant to use "Fury".
Your mechanic is a dimwit. In modern cars, idle is generally controlled electronically. This is true of the Altima.
You should never have to adjust the throttle cable, except to un-f**k it when someone has screwed it up already. As someone else posted, there is an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve under the intake manifold towards the passenger end that is adjusted with a large philips screwdriver. Do it that way, right after you buy a Haynes or other appropriate manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts