The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I have too many hobbies..
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to tint my car and was wondering if anyone has gone down this road yet. I'm really interested in using Llumar Metallic tint (supposed to be the best with lifetime warranty for the original owner).

THE PROBLEM:

As most of you may or may not know, the antenna is integrated into the rear window of the Altima. This is also done on the new 2002 Camry. A buddy of mine bought the Camry and we were planning on tinting our cars at the same place (he has silver too) using the Llumar Metallic tint. He noticed that in the Camry manual they advise against tinting the rear window with Metallic tint. Does anyone have any insight or experience with this? I tried to read through the manual and haven't found anything on it yet.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
2,228 Posts
HMMMMMM

Probubly just one of those precautious warnings seeing as the metalic tint reflects the sun pretty bad.....but don't worry, the warnings for the guy behind you..lol.Do it...I have it on my 1st gen alty and it looks sweet! HAPPT TINTING!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the lumar platinum tint on my 3.5 se and the radio reception has only been marginally reduced, But I also live in a rural area 60 miles from the nearest metro area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It says the same thing in the Alty manual. I think someone on here did get the metallic tint and has had no problems. I think that statement is just to alert you of a potential problem with the metallic tint and the window antenna...not a guarantee that a problem will occur. Its an ass-covering thing for Nissan so you won't get the tint and then maybe later on complain your radio reception isn't as good as it should be.

Kevin

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am running the Llumar Semi-Metalic (still has the lifetime warranty and has a pewter sort of sheen, but not mirror like the new lexus tint.) and I don't notice any bad reception. I do however notice the ignition noise when the reception gets bad, but Nissan has already addressed this as a problem and has a fix. I just need to get in to the dealership.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got the Llumar Platinum Plus (35% and 18% on the rear)
and have not had a problem since install on my '02 SE 2 months
ago. Of course I've had the coil pack upgrade already installed
so my tunes are crystal clear!

Oh yeah, glad to be here!

·
See ya on the flipside...
394 Posts
I have the same metallic tint that you are interested in on a 2001 GXE and the antenna is placed within the back glass. I have 35% Metallic w/ a layer of 5% on top in the back glass and the back two passenger windows and just the 35% metallic on the front passenger and driver windows. The only thing I've noticed is that my alarm range has decresed a little bit. My advice..........Go get the tint.......it looks sweet on a silver car.......:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is metallic tint the tint you see on Lexus SUV's ? Does anyone have pics of the tint (Lexus style) ? I'm thinking of tinting my car and want something different than black.

Thanks for any info:)

·
Registered
717 Posts
...looks good on Satin White too! I would post a pic but no Digital
Camera (sorry). IMO the tint you see on those Lexus SUV's are too aluminum foilish looking. The Llumar Platinum Plus gives great
sun filtration without that "greenish" hue that you see on those
SUV's.

·
Registered
717 Posts
2002 Altima, are you running semi-metallic or Platinum Plus? Yours looks different than mine. By the way, thanks for the welcome to the site. I'll keep my eye's posted to the TX board-
don't want to miss the next meet!

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
edadams said:
I have the lumar platinum tint on my 3.5 se and the radio reception has only been marginally reduced, But I also live in a rural area 60 miles from the nearest metro area.
Hey edadams..

Can you throw some pictures of your tint job. I'm just curious as to how it looks. What color is your car?

Thanks in advance...

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SE-Rious said:
I've got the Llumar Platinum Plus (35% and 18% on the rear)
and have not had a problem since install on my '02 SE 2 months
ago. Of course I've had the coil pack upgrade already installed
so my tunes are crystal clear!

Oh yeah, glad to be here!

Where'd you get the coil pack upgrade? My reception right now without tint has been pretty marginal. Even my stock old Honda radio had no problems receiving the radio sations that I'm having problems with now.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Xerious said:

Where'd you get the coil pack upgrade? My reception right now without tint has been pretty marginal. Even my stock old Honda radio had no problems receiving the radio sations that I'm having problems with now.

Thanks in advance...
Xerious, Nissan is aware of the problem and posted a "Bulletin"
to its dearlerships. All you have to do is contact your local Nissan
Service Dept., let them know about the static and they will order
the new coil pack and will install. Took my service dept. about two weeks to get it in and 1&1\2 hrs. to install. Makes all the difference in the world!

·
Sound.Vision.Soul
46 Posts
I’m going to tint the windows of my satin white 02 2.5s altima and I was wondering what the best type of tint to use is. If you wondering the reason why I bought the 2.5 S is because I like to start from the ground up.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SE-Rious said:

Xerious, Nissan is aware of the problem and posted a "Bulletin"
to its dearlerships. All you have to do is contact your local Nissan
Service Dept., let them know about the static and they will order
the new coil pack and will install. Took my service dept. about two weeks to get it in and 1&1\2 hrs. to install. Makes all the difference in the world!
Thanks for the info SE-Rious.. Like your handle by the way.. see mine?

I called my Nissan dealership and the service tech was vaguely familiar about hearing about it. I'm bringing my car in next Thursday for the Perma-Protection stuff to be put on and inside the car. They said they'd look at it, etc. Do you happen to have the TSB number to help my cause?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Xerious said:

Thanks for the info SE-Rious.. Like your handle by the way.. see mine?

I called my Nissan dealership and the service tech was vaguely familiar about hearing about it. I'm bringing my car in next Thursday for the Perma-Protection stuff to be put on and inside the car. They said they'd look at it, etc. Do you happen to have the TSB number to help my cause?

Thanks in advance.
Xerious, sorry don't have the number but if the tech didn't
know about the problem ask to speak to the service mgr.
I'm sure he/she has the ability to look it up.

Yeah, I like your user name too, do you have an SE-R also?

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SE-Rious said:

Xerious, sorry don't have the number but if the tech didn't
know about the problem ask to speak to the service mgr.
I'm sure he/she has the ability to look it up.

Yeah, I like your user name too, do you have an SE-R also?

No worries. The tech I spoke with sounded genuine enough to look into the problem. We'll see. The Finance Manager was telling me that I'd be getting a customer survey card and he wanted to make sure that my experience at the dealership warranted excellent marks. I'm going to hold on responding to that card until after next Thursday :rolleyes:

Never owned an SE-R but the closest I've been to one was on the line waiting for the tree to hit green. Let's say that I was impressed by the performance of the SE-R.... from my rearview mirror... :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts