The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although i have a manual, i am helping to get the word out now that myself and a few other members have been discussing the recent capabilities of the 3.5's. With I/E/H/P for the main bolt ons and an APEXI S-AFC to make the A/F mixture correct, and now with this new valve body for the auto trannies (that is said to be tested for a 0.5 sec 1/4 mile gain) their is no reason for 3.5's (auto, which most of ya'll are) to get a 13.5. The price is about 2,200 for all the bolt ons, the VB, and the APEXI combined. I think that GrimmReaper will likely be the first to achieve this set up but i would love to see the rest of you guys do the same.

P.S. for those of you all with headers and the complete E/I/P/H set up- i took my car to a dyno shop today and they said that based on my current gas consumption (running lean) i am losing about 15 whp w/o the APEXI!!

·
JIMMY LIKES TO STREETRACE
876 Posts
We'll I am guilty of the automatic, and yah I would love to hit 13.5 I will prob. get it with my first sale (real estated- home- chu ching LOL) But I think allot of people just like rollin in an incredibley underestimated ride that can whoop ass. I will take this stuff into consideration though... Will you marry me LOL, a girl that likes racing and owns a viper I am in love.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Us Evo guys have been using the ApexI SAFC for awhile now. You can fine tune your A/F and on my car, get upwards of 25 WHP on pump gas and over 30 on 100 octane. It's not a new thing. WRX tuners have been using them for years.

You do have to spice into your ECU wires. I have a patch harness, but don't know if it's available for the Alti.

BTW, you went on a dyno today, but failed to reveal the numbers. What did it put down?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

I dont really understand how that Apexi works? Well I don't really want to rely on 100octane and race gas/pump gas for good times.

No one mentioned the techno ECU and what's going on with the intake manifold/cam(pricey)???

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
A valve body does NOT make your car faster. It gives you 0 power,nada. It just makes the car shift a bit better which MAY knock off .1 or .2 sec(or none at all) and allows for more consistant times at the track.
Its fun though , I have it in my 2nd gen:)
But no way will it knock off 1/2 a second....not a chance in hell.

But damn it, we need more vendors for the Altima...with my "other" car, a VB upgrade is $100-$129 due to competition...with the Altima I paid nearly $400 for one since hardly anyone makes them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: ...

anthunny said:
I dont really understand how that Apexi works? Well I don't really want to rely on 100octane and race gas/pump gas for good times.

No one mentioned the techno ECU and what's going on with the intake manifold/cam(pricey)???

The APEXI is needed because the way the stock ECU adjusts to the mods ends up making your 3.5 run lean and not able to gain its full potential hp- and i would say losing as much as 15whp a big loss. It basically works by tapping into your stock ECU and when the dyno is showing optimum hp from a given A/F mixture- they set the APEXI @ that margin. The TC ECU would not adjust your A/F to the optimum setting- they would just make a guess- a guess based on the fact that they have never tested a 3.5 w/ headers before. Plus the APEXi gives you the option of hitting a button for optimum power and then one that will set it to the lean set up that i have now (better mpg).

And this runs on 93 octane

Ask Grimm R about the manifold- sounds like more trouble than its worth just to engineer a good one.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
gunslash said:
A valve body does NOT make your car faster. It gives you 0 power,nada. It just makes the car shift a bit better which MAY knock off .1 or .2 sec(or none at all) and allows for more consistant times at the track.
Its fun though , I have it in my 2nd gen:)
But no way will it knock off 1/2 a second....not a chance in hell.

But damn it, we need more vendors for the Altima...with my "other" car, a VB upgrade is $100-$129 due to competition...with the Altima I paid nearly $400 for one since hardly anyone makes them.

Hey sorry your VB didn't work well with your 2nd gen but the 3rd gen trannies are a different story. They are set up soft so that the ride/shifts is more luxury than sporty. As far as not getting any power....uh yeah you don't get any but that isn't stopping you from going any faster. The quick transfer of the gears is what will make you faster.
Mobiletek.net, after i have talked to them on the phone, told me that they did a VB to a Kenwood Audio 3.5 that only had a AEM intake, Stillen Mufflers (no catback) and the car ran a 14.1- and he is formatting the video for me right now!!! You have to think at the very least three tenths is possible because a 4-speed 3.5 is gonna shift 3 times during a 1/4 run- further more the shifts get softer as the gears get higher so you lose more time from the stock tranny the higher gear you get into. I think this VB claims are valid for the 3.5 and when grimm gets the set up we will see.

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts
I guess another option to this SAFC would be the piggy back thing that jonlisle got. He has similar mods to you and the guy who made his piggy back will ship it with jon's settings on it so maybe you could avoid going to the dyno shop.

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
will make a thread about the intake manifold when I have a nice long time to explain everything later this week....

the VB WILL provide good gains.. for those of you that HAVENT tried drag racing I will explain the 2-3 shift..... its long.... like 2 seconds and 300 rpms or so... the 1-2 shift is not as bad but still really bad... I am thinking betwen .3-.5 drop in times with a vb...

the ecu tuning is NECESSARY... Ill post my dyno up later but basically with just intake/exhaust/downpipe im running EXTREMELY lean up top... I was thinking stacy probably was too and her trip to the dyno shows it too.... a S-AFC is one of the products that we could use for tuning. It is a nice product but I will probably not use it simply because I want a different one which plugs into a laptop and the S-AFC does not... the guy who had the s-afc Ill have to find the thread for but it was awhile back.

the tuning aspect is new to us because I think alot of people on here never checked their a/f because intakes and exhausts were not enough to change the a/f that drastically. but now with headers out its becoming very necessary because the bad a/f tuning is robbing us of alot of power....

Will hopefully have headers, tune and vb on by end of september.... shooting for at least 13.8s and hope to top BJS's time by end of year.

·
Long-term troll
282 Posts
Re: Re: ...

Stacey3.5 said:
Plus the APEXi gives you the option of hitting a button for optimum power and then one that will set it to the lean set up that i have now (better mpg).
I wouldn't worry about the better MPG. I don't know how lean you're running, but running lean can fubar your engine and end up costing you much more than the couple of dollars you'd save with good gas mileage.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can really damage your engine if you don't know what you are doing with a SAFC. You need a wideband O2 sensor to see your A/F which is done on a dyno or can be road tuned.

I assume you are running lean midrange due to your mods and mostly the intake. Most cars run rich up top and that's where they lose power.

On my Evo, it runs extremely rich up top stock. you see the smoke pour out. But after an ECU flash and fuel tuning, I gained upwards of 30 WHP with just fuel tuning and brought the A/F to 11:1 through the band right to a 7800 redline.

I don't know about the gains on a N/A engine and I would assume it's not as much. Plus also, the ECU in my car is stable and does not change the tune once the ECU is flashed. I heard on a 350Z, the ECU constantly changes the tune and A/F and they don't take to ECU tuning. But 15 WHP is not much of a gain but it's something.

BTW, a SAFC WILL void your warantee. You are directly splicing into your car's ECU computer and manipulating and "fooling" the ECU with the unit. That's why I have a field harness. I splice into that and if I need to, zero out the settings and pull the whole harness.

·
Long-term troll
282 Posts
Nope, its the lack of a turbo :D

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Vegas, in answer to your question, a similar auto alti dyno'd at 246whp, 259tq.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my chart came out like crap but the next one when i go back friday to get my APEXI S-AFC tuned will be hopefully more clear (i asked them to make sure of it).

Hp- 255.1

torque- 249

The humidity is ridiculous here today, so i would guess maybe a 5 increase on a lesser humid day- i'mineterested to see what the APEXI will do.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts