The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I break bones and laugh.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's cousin came into town this weekend for a visit along with her new Cooper S. She let me take it for a drive and I'm suprized to say that I actually like it. The interior doesn't look cheap at all (especially for it's price range), the seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever felt and the shifting was very nice. What really got me to like it was the fact that I was able to spin the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear. If I was in the market for a small car around 20k, I'd have to say I'd buy one.

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
Yea they're nice. I have a friend that has one and I like it. There seems to be about a million here in Manhattan. Everytime I see one parked they're always in the smallest little spots :lol:. That makes me upset when Im trying to park my limo..... All in all I like them, and I can see myself flinging it all over the city without a problem... when trucks and big SUV's arent around.. :(

·
I break bones and laugh.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NVS aLtiMa said:
There seems to be about a million here in Manhattan.
that's anther thing i like....no one in this city has one. in fact the closest dealership is about 8 hours away

·
Registered
144 Posts
My step-dad has one and he is getting rid of it very soon because of its extremely poor reliability, not to mention BMW dealers lack of resolve in actually fixing the problems. Now that its getting out of warranty he doesn't want to deal with the very high repair costs either.

He loves the car to death (Not even the S model) but its just becoming too much of a money pit.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
If I were an autocross racer a CooperS would be a bad ass car. With a little money they can be made real fast and corner like they are on rails. But living in Cali there are WAY to many oversized SUVs that would crush you like a soda can and not even notice that it happened.

·
Irish Designated Driver
223 Posts
Zuldane said:
My wife's cousin came into town this weekend for a visit along with her new Cooper S. She let me take it for a drive and I'm suprized to say that I actually like it. The interior doesn't look cheap at all (especially for it's price range), the seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever felt and the shifting was very nice. What really got me to like it was the fact that I was able to spin the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear. If I was in the market for a small car around 20k, I'd have to say I'd buy one.
I owned an 02 MINI Cooper S. I LOVED the car, (handing, torque, fun to drive) but hated ownership. In the 3 mos (yes, I got out of it that quick) that I owned it.. it was in the shop 4 times, and 3 of those times were for at least a week (luckily while still in warranty I would get loaners). But I got scared that if these stupid problems persisted past warranty, I wouldn't be able to afford the shop visits. Waaay to frequent for a new car. All for "nanny lights"... tcs light comes on, they keep it a week with finally deciding they couldn't find anything wrong and just reset the system. I take it home, it comes on two weeks later. So I wait it out, then the EBFD light comes on.. so I take it back in. Same answer for the 1st light, then they "reprogram" my EBFD system. It was always the same answer for all the lights.. they "reprogram" my system. The TCS light, the EBFD, the TPM light, all w/in 3 mos.
Then they had a problem with it cold start stalling... consistently. Oh yeah, they say.. they have to reprogram the ECM for it.. (takes another week)... then when I get it back, it has no torque in 1st gear, matter of fact, a huge bog (wtf!)... to which they say, yeah.. unfortunate side effect... I'm like.. "Can I have the cold start stall back, please???"

anyways... Loved the ride, hated the issues... I only kept the car for 3 mos... killed me in trade in value... :(

I say if you want one, go for it.. make sure you live close to the dealership.. (8 hours, hell no) at least til they work out the kinks...

BTW.. the Cooper forums are full of people with the same issues as me, so it's not just mine. Man I miss that car... wish I could have trusted it for my entire lien.

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
my Cooper S test drive was the most impressive test drive I'd ever had (but then I drove the G :)) ... at 35-40mph I was whipping that thing back and forth on a 4-lane divided road and it just hung on. Could be a little faster but it handles better than any other FWD car I've driven

·
Irish Designated Driver
223 Posts
Definitely a blast to drive.. you had to work hard to break it free...
If only it had been more reliable.. :(

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
If your looking for a small car why not look at the VW 1.8T GTI same engine I think with the same price but GTI has more power.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Re: Mini Cooper S

jessielude said:
I owned an 02 MINI Cooper S. I LOVED the car, (handing, torque, fun to drive) but hated ownership. In the 3 mos (yes, I got out of it that quick) that I owned it.. it was in the shop 4 times, and 3 of those times were for at least a week (luckily while still in warranty I would get loaners). But I got scared that if these stupid problems persisted past warranty, I wouldn't be able to afford the shop visits. Waaay to frequent for a new car. All for "nanny lights"... tcs light comes on, they keep it a week with finally deciding they couldn't find anything wrong and just reset the system. I take it home, it comes on two weeks later. So I wait it out, then the EBFD light comes on.. so I take it back in. Same answer for the 1st light, then they "reprogram" my EBFD system. It was always the same answer for all the lights.. they "reprogram" my system. The TCS light, the EBFD, the TPM light, all w/in 3 mos.
Then they had a problem with it cold start stalling... consistently. Oh yeah, they say.. they have to reprogram the ECM for it.. (takes another week)... then when I get it back, it has no torque in 1st gear, matter of fact, a huge bog (wtf!)... to which they say, yeah.. unfortunate side effect... I'm like.. "Can I have the cold start stall back, please???"

anyways... Loved the ride, hated the issues... I only kept the car for 3 mos... killed me in trade in value... :(

I say if you want one, go for it.. make sure you live close to the dealership.. (8 hours, hell no) at least til they work out the kinks...

BTW.. the Cooper forums are full of people with the same issues as me, so it's not just mine. Man I miss that car... wish I could have trusted it for my entire lien.
Exactly the same things that were going wrong in my step-dads car... such a shame :(

·
I break bones and laugh.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Mini Cooper S

jessielude said:

:( well maybe I wont be getting it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts