The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliffs at the bottom for you lazy people.

Ok so I bought an 05 3.5SE Leather sport package and then discovered these forums a while back and have been posting as you can see. Due to you guys and your pursuit for performance enhancements I have been persuaded to buy and install some modifications to my car and have a short review of each.

First modification was Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs and I really like the way the car looks and drives with these springs on the stock struts and shocks. However, after about 3500 miles I noticed some weird noises coming from the front suspension and now that I have 6+K miles on my car it is so bad that I put my original springs back on and am taking it to the dealer to get the struts replaced. I don't blame the springs I blame the struts. they suck. However, I did have the stock springs back on for my drive up north and I enjoyed the extra ground clearence. I also had three people in the car with luggage and was happy that I wasn't saggin' in the back end. I am debating putting my pro-kits back on before I find a 100% solution for the strut issue.

Berk Tech v2 WAI. Bought this and after a month finally got it. Installed it and drove around and other than noise I really didn't feel the "increased" throttle response that others have mentioned. I took it off after 24 hours and had it off for two or more weeks before trying it again and drove with it for a month with it on. Because I was going to go back to the dealer for my strut issue I put back my stock intake and I actually think my car performed better!! More low end torque! Smoother acceleration!! So at this point I see no reason to put it back on. I will think about selling it if anyone is interested.

Magnaflow exhaust cat-back: I had this installed by the muffler shop next door for $425.00 parts included. I used the 14829's and the 22" magnaflow resonator. After 10 miles I was so tired of the drone that I had but I had to wait about 10 days before I had time to get a bigger resonator. Sold the old one and now have a 6" 10436 33 inch long resonator that cut the drone in half. But after 12 hours of driving each way on my trip north plus the fact that my trip involved touring the area of my destination "Redwood forest and surrounding areas" I did a LOT of driving and after a while the drone STILL drove me insane. Today (wednesday) I went online and found some new muffler parts and I am going to have my stock resonator put back on with new magnaflow mufflers with new tips. So I'll have a 33" Magnaflow resonator and two Magnaflow 14829 mufflers for sale soon. Maybe tomorrow.
PM me offers.

UR Ultra Sc Pulley: There is a huge debate going on in these forums with regards to miles per gallon with or without the lite weight pulley. I got the Sc series which is the same diameter as the stock one but just really lite weight. I drove with it for about two weeks and I DID NOT SEE OR FEEL ANY difference in performance and or MPG. Maybe it reved quicker but as far as taking off from a stop sign I did not notice anything different. Once again I removed it for my trip to the dealer and at this point see no reason to put it back on. Might be selling it in the near future.

So the only reason I am actually sticking with the aftermarket exhaust idea is because I like the way it looks so much better than stock so it is worth it to me to put these mufflers on. However as far as the restrictive aspects of the resonator go I'll just have to see. I am having it put back on later today I hope. Waiting for the shop to call me and tell me they have my parts.

Cliffs: Berk v2 WAI, UR Ultra Sc Pulley, Magnaflow straight thru exhaust, eibach pro-kit springs taken off and replaced with stock for dealer warranty repairs tonight and don't notice much, if any, performance difference so most likely leave most of it off in favor of stock. Maybe I am just too old and if I don't actually *feel* a big difference I don't see a reason to have them.

:sad:

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,219 Posts
Good read.......from another old mans point of view..You sealed the deal for me not doing any of the above mentioned mods.

Does not seem to be worth it....However..If I can get a shift kit..I am in for that.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
One thing to consider is it's not easy to tell the difference when installing one bolt on performance mod, but there is a huge difference together. I dyno tested, and with headers, high flow cat, pulley, exhaust and intake, I gained over 30 wheel horsepower over stock. Others have gotten even higher with the same stuff. Add 30 whp to your car one day, and you WILL notice a difference ;)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,219 Posts
One thing to consider is it's not easy to tell the difference when installing one bolt on performance mod, but there is a huge difference together. I dyno tested, and with headers, high flow cat, pulley, exhaust and intake, I gained over 30 wheel horsepower over stock. Others have gotten even higher with the same stuff. Add 30 whp to your car one day, and you WILL notice a difference ;)
30 hp is a lot....But, all that you listed is pretty pricey for me when it comes down to 30hp.

I prefer to put my money in your Grills that make me look like a have gained 200 hp :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ I just want to let you know that I really really like the way the car looks with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed. The car looks well balanced and sporty and it handles a lot better! Also the ride quality was not significantly reduced so I would LOVE to put them back on but I don't want to go through struts every 3K miles. As SOON as I can find some good replacement front struts that are soft like stock but won't get killed by lowering springs I will put them back on.

Also the more agressive sounding exhaust note is for the most part superior to the stock system however due to my 5 speed auto my cruising RPM puts it into a range that makes it drone more than it should. On a 4 speed transmission I think the RPMs at 70-80MPH would be higher than I have and thus the drone would disapear.
I can't know that I can only guess since I have not ridden with anyone with a similiar setup. Maybe this weekend someone will let me ride around with them.

·
2005 3.5 SE Balck MT
177 Posts
I assume you put on the 02-04 pro-kit from Eibach. I called Eibach back in March a month after I got my 05 Alti and was asking about an 05 kit. They said they did not have one yet. I then went to the dealer and they told me that the shocks, struts and springs are the same from the 04 to the 05 (even though the wheel gap on the 05 looks MONSTEROUS compared to an 04, which is why I asked)

How did the springs handle the rear. The back wheels already look about an inch from the fender in terms of height. Did they drop them down the 1 inch that Eibach has in the kit, or did it stay the same. I am worried that it will bring the wheel too clsoe to the wheel well and when I do put people in the back it will look stupid like I am saggin my ass on the ground.

And from your pic, it looks like the springs brought the front down more than an inch. The gap is at least 2.5 in to 3 inches on my 05 Alti. And I would love to make it match the gap on the rear.

What I am thinking about doing is keeping the stock springs in the back and running the Eibach Prokit in the front.
What do ya think. You are the first 05 I have seen with the prokit, so your opinoon is much needed in this case. (BTW..it looks sweeeet)

(Also, check out ActiveTuing.com for their replacement rear struts if you are tired of the crap stock ones. Or you can wait until the 05 SE-R comes out you can pick up a set from the dealer from that car. The suspension is all new on the SE-R)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ Yah, I was just about 10 minutes ago talking with my wife about hte SER struts..

Anyways, the Pro-Kit takes the back down about .5 inches or so. Not much of a noticable difference in the back the way it looks. The front is about 1 inch. The springs are designed to be used as a full set (all four) and if you just do the fronts like I had done before the handling around corners is very bad. You need to install all or none.

I also have a stillen rear anti-sway bar that I forgot to mention and I am not removing it.

I know about those adjustable rear shocks already but my understanding is that even on the softest setting they are still a lot stiffer than stock. I really LOVE the ride with the pro-kits on stock shocks/struts. Very smooth on the freeway. If I went with even slightly stiffer shocks I'd lose that. Not worth it to me. I need adjustables that are stock soft on lowest and then get stiffer from there. Not start off stiffer to begin with.

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
Wow it is hard to believe you can not see a difference with any of those mods. Especially with that resonator removed. Droning with the set up???? I rode in your car and you could barely hear that thing. :dunno: Maybe you are to old. :D

·
Parts & Service Manager
1,812 Posts
SEO5 said:
I just put on my Pro-Kit springs with the Nismo shocks. I'll drive it home tonight with my wife riding shotgun. If I get the thumbs up, they stay. If I get the thumbs down, I go back to stock.

You forgot you had the nismo suspension. Or did I miss you saying that?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
I don't know.............with me it is just as fun if not even more fun just doing the mods and working on the car. The end result of the mod is just the icing on the cake that you get to "eat" for as long as you own the car! :D

·
Über
7,173 Posts
I have an auto so I go mainly for looks and audio ;) I'm only 22 and was never really into modding until I found this forum to tell you the truth. I love my car and only performance mods I've done is a WAI, soon to be Berk V2 WAI ;) It is a fever for most of us, sure you can get some gains in HP but it is a difficult thing juggling that with work/school so I go more for the cosmetics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts