The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, here's one for you techheads:

let's say a 400-hp goal on an engine

with more displacement you could make the same amount of power with less boost.

with less displacement, you need more boost to make the same amount of power.

given that, would you prefer displacement or boost?

and, given that, which engine is better for the 400-hp goal ka24de or sr20det?

just something to think about...

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
displacement. torque is a wonderful thing.

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the thing is, too much boost and your car wouldn't be a practical daily driver, whereas a larger displacement engine would require less boost and be a more reliable daily driver.

·
Registered
524 Posts
the sr20det is a smaller engine but much more solid so it can handle much more boost relaible. if you want 400HP the sr20det would be much more reliable than the ka but I think the ka gets more out of a boost pound per hp than a sr20det does, but if your talking about getting a commaro up to 400hp vs a turboed sr20 or ka then the camaro will be much more reliable at that level even though the import engine's are much more reiable stock

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
INDYALTY said:
...sr20 can handle higher hp...
which parts of the sr20det can handle higher hp?, but even more specifically, which parts that can't be had for the ka24de?

what i'm trying to get at is this:
everybody knows of the sr20det reputation as a great engine, but is the ka24de that bad of a platform to work with, are there no saving graces?

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
sr20det have stronger bottom end. the stockers should take 400whp without too much problem. 400 whp in a ka24de, u are lookin at alot of forged parts goin in on the bottom end.

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if both engines had suitable parts to handle the power, the ka24de would still be more reliable(at 400-hp)?

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
um, to make them equals, u need to put in about several thousand bux worth of motor work alone.

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chiadog said:
um, to make them equals, u need to put in about several thousand bux worth of motor work alone.
have ka24de, $3000 for rods & pistons installed, about $4000 for turbo installed.

sr20det = about $3000 for engine installed, don't know if the stock turbo can flow enough for 400-hp

ok, so it's probably cheaper for sr20det to make 400-hp
but, if the goal is ~350-hp, hmmm....

so, there is no saving grace, huh?

·
Registered
498 Posts
all this talk about the bottom end with the KA isnt touching on the fact that the block itself is much weaker. It has a destrucive resonance at 7-8k. The block in the sr is much stronger and designed to handle the power, the KA was built for torque at low end and cant handle the mad boost like the sr. If you give me to identical series of blocks I'd take the larger displacement any day (torque is great) but in this case you are comparing apples (KA) to oranges (SR) and the SR even with smaller displacement would be more reliable at high HP because of its design

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alchemist said:
all this talk about the bottom end with the KA isnt touching on the fact that the block itself is much weaker. It has a destrucive resonance at 7-8k. The block in the sr is much stronger...
that's what i was afraid of...

oh well, sr20det it is.

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
Smaller displacement does not necessarily mean less torque. Look at the VW/Audi 1.8T. That thing makes a sh!tload of torque from 1750 rpm all the way past 5000 remaining flat. The SR20DET I'm betting should be the same way.

High reving, strong torque, small displacement engine is possible.

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
well u are forgettin he wants to build 400hp. and he need a big ass turbo to do so. and big turbo = bad for low end. so it would have no low end torque. :D

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
OK, yes... if you do want to make ridiculus amounts of boost, a larger turbo unit would take a hell of a long time to spool and kill your low end. But I thought we were talking about the stock turbo unit on the sr20?

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
the stock turbo is not likely to flow 400 hp:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts