·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Good find.

I'm planning of doing the same thing when I make my homemade CAI... getting some fiberglass insulation in a tape roll. I think you can find it with the heating duct stuff at a home improvement place, ie Home Depot.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll visit Home Depot to look at the stuff. Do I ask for heating duct insulators?
Jay

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Not sure. It could be windows and/or a/c stuff, too.

That's the thing I hate about Home Depot... too big, can't find anything, and a lot of the times the people their don;t know either.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
hmmm... some guys on the maxima board are doubting this.....

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ry said:
hmmm... some guys on the maxima board are doubting this.....
Yeah, they are. I haven't seen it at any other sites and I've searched a few large sites.

Ry, what do you think? Does it work or not? I was hoping to see more people reply to get their opinions.

Jay

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
ThurzNite said:

Yeah, they are. I haven't seen it at any other sites and I've searched a few large sites.

Ry, what do you think? Does it work or not? I was hoping to see more people reply to get their opinions.

Jay

i think in theory it works... just need to test if differently (with car moving i guess)

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
He needs to take some readings while the car is moving and there is air circulating in the engine. I think the engine is colder before he starts his trip because the engine is still cold... but the insulated pipe would definitely provide an advantage over a non-insulated pipe... but how much improvement and is it worth $40.00 for 2 feet?

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
can't really test this on a dyno jet, can you? i suggest maybe mpg estimates under normal driving....

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll do the test if someone can rig up a thermometer for me. PT? Hehe.
I don't know enuf about electro-thermometers or whatever they're called. I was thinking about somehow sticking it in the tube before or after the MAF and running some wire to inside the cockpit and giving me a readout there. Any ideas?
Jay

·
525 Posts
when the car is moving, i don't think the air stays in the intake tube long enough to be affected by the warm intake pipe. Typically, insulating the intake pipe is only used to prevent heat soak when the car idles, such as at stop lights, staging lanes, etc...

·
Returning Member
137 Posts
I was wondering when this subject will come up. I've been pondering about this question since the day I ordered my CAI from Place Racing. The heat in the engine compartment will heat up the intake piping and warm the air coming through it. So you're still getting WAI. Metal pipes are good conductors of heat. I will definitely try to find some material to insulate the piping. I was thinking of wrapping it with lots of aluminum foil.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom said:
I was wondering when this subject will come up. I've been pondering about this question since the day I ordered my CAI from Place Racing. The heat in the engine compartment will heat up the intake piping and warm the air coming through it. So you're still getting WAI. Metal pipes are good conductors of heat. I will definitely try to find some material to insulate the piping. I was thinking of wrapping it with lots of aluminum foil.
Like Alum foil for baking? I do remember that it's not that hot when I take it outta the oven. It could work. Does the reflective side face the engine or the tube?
Jay

·
candy is dandy.
3,932 Posts
let me add my worthless .02 cents here,lets say at 4500 rpm how long does the air actually stay in the intake tube? not long i can tell you that,so,lets say the air stays in the tube for one second,so the incoming air from outside is 77 degrees,and i can tell you this the air will have to sit in that tube for longer than one second to even bring it down one degree.so,unless you got a turbo nestled up against your intake tube i wouldnt buy that shit.and if that is the case why dont you wrap your intake manifold runners cuz i know they retain more heat than the dumb intake tube does.

·
Returning Member
137 Posts
I was just going to wrap some styrofoam with aluminum foil around the intake pipe to hold it together.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was checking out an import magazine and saw an ad where they have a box (like resonator box) at the end of cai tubing, then hook the cone filter to that. The claim was that you would have a storage of cold air for immediate use. Does that help any?
Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts